cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML & Inbetweener Weekly Check In – 5/21/2017 – What does NML mean to you?

We have this discussion every Monday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit and those in-between who have not yet made it to the 6% club.  Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us!  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

This week’s topic:  What does NML or inbetweenerville mean to you?

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months?sr=search... 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

8 Replies
Roller831

I have read that NML is a place where the excitement of your quit is wearing off, so what do you have to look forward too?

For me, at that time, I was very engaged in the EX Community and was excited about all the things I was able to do now that I wasn’t smoking.  So, that land was a narrow piece of property that went by with a blink of the eye. I am guessing that everyone has had a different experience here. I did look back at some of my early posts and think about how far I have come and all the good things that have happened to me since I quit smoking.

I viewed NML as an old abandoned mine field from WWII.  One incorrect step, and BOOM! I would blow up my quit!  I needed to make it through the mine field (the only way out is through thanks to JonesCarpeDiem )to get to the other side which was a beautiful pasture of tall grasses and wonderful smelling flowers (think the poppy field in the Wizard of Oz only it doesn’t put you to sleep).  I would have to zig and zag through the field and watch out for the obstacles that could destroy my quit.   Others used a desert presented by the Caravan Master OldBones-Larry‌!

The cravings were far apart if any and not nearly as strong as they used to be if I got one. I was sleeping again and not waking up in the middle of the night thinking about a cigarette. My clothes, car, and house do not smell of cigarettes anymore. Even though I never smoked in the house, the house smelled because I smelled of cigarette smoke.  I could take a deep breath and not cough. I was and am trying to exercise and live a healthier life. My sense of taste and smell had returned as I was enjoying the smell of foods, perfume, flowers and just the clean fresh air around me.

My teeth are whiter then I could ever remember them being and my gums don't bleed when brushing them anymore. My dentist cleanings are much faster since my teeth aren’t as stained.

The bank account that I put my money in saved from not buying cigarettes was growing. I could now smell someone smoking walking down the street in front of me or in the car next to me and I could even tell if someone is a smoker even if they are not smoking now. I was not scared to travel anymore or go to places that did not allow smoking because it would interfere with my smoking habit. My energy and self-confidence was back if full force and the most important thing I think was that I was very and still am very proud of myself because I did something that is one of the hardest thing to do in this world, well with a little help from my friends here!

So no man's land is not a land to be scared of but to look forward to because it means that you are now an EX SMOKER!   

Roller

DLHaffner

Thank you roller831‌!!!  Today I celebrate 80 days of freedom so I'm just a little more than halfway through NMLs or inbetweenerville.  In all honesty, I'm doing my best to NOT think about how long I've been an ex-smoker.  I LOVE what elvan‌ wrote on some post somewhere on here (i can't figure out how to save reference points so I'll never be able to tell you where) but she said something like she'll never be a non-smoker because she was a smoker in her past so she can only be an ex-smoker now.  That statement REALLY resonated with me.  I think if I could continue to smoke occasionally with no health, financial or stinky impact I would.  But that's not reality.  Smoking kills, in a super slow and expensive way.  Smoking stinks...literally and figuratively for a number of reasons and I don't want to forget that like some non-smoker might.  Like JonesCarpeDiem‌ says the only way out is through...I have to acknowledge that 'hey man...I am a freaking ex-smoker now which is awesome BUT I should not let my guard down completely because an ex-smoker is still someone who once smoked and could possibly smoke again.  At least an ex-smoker is more likely to smoker than a non-smoker.  I'm not sure if all that made sense but I'm so grateful to the long timers who remember they are not non-smokers and continue to maintain their ex-y-ness by sharing their experience on this site..  Thank you to YoungAtHeart and JACKIE1-25-15 as well!  And many more.

I look forward to another day (God willing!) hope you all have a beautiful weekend!

Danielle

AnnetteMM

Good morning, Roller!  I'm happy to be in Inbetweenerville  with you.  I passed through NML via the desert with Larry.  Sandstorms, freezing nights, quicksand traps, mirages...loads of smoking memories and triggers passed through successfully so far.  Right now I can stay on the main road (Inbetweenerville is a village) and window shop without getting distracted by shiny objects.  Some of those shops are just too expensive!  Just going into that lovely wine store might cost me 147 DAYS!

Jennifer-Quit

I do not think that it is a period of time to be feared but rather a time to rejoice in your achievement.  You have made it through the first 30 days - and those 30 day can be tough - and now when many of your IRL friends think it is all behind you, in reality it is not.  But those cravings get fewer and farther between - so it is a period of time to simply watch your back and to not be surprised when a craving hits.  So even if your IRL friends do not understand, your friends at EX do understand and will be there to support you.

Gilamonster

Checking in.

NML is a good blog for me because I am hoping it will be the end of the depression, no energy, feeling sorry for myself at the end of the 120-130 days.

I am grateful I  have made it this far And feel I’m too far along now to turn back. It is wonderful to not smell like an ashtray or be embarrassed about a smoker’s cough and having to sneak away for a cigarette.

96 DOF Gayle 

Fresher1

Hi!  I guess I’m in nml too.  I feel exactly the way you wrote. Like I’ve gone too long  to turn back! Don’t smell! No coughing! No sneaking!  Plus, saving money!  But I’m not over joyed and savoring the freedom for some reason. Currently, today, I don’t feel depressed, but a lot this last month I have.  I’m not gonna smoke. I know I hate it. My family and friends are so proud of me.  Just gonna keep plugging along. Thanks for reading this.

Roller831

Not everyday is a bed of roses and smoking won't make the roses smell any better; worse actually since your nose doesn't work as well when you smoke.  You've got this.  Hang in there.

Roller831

Gilamonster‌ NML is not a magic place where just because you get through it, the depression, lack of energy, and feeling sorry for yourself will disappear.  I wish I could tell you all will be fine once you make it through.  That could happen, but it may not.  I think NML is a place where you start to realize that and to create new memories and experiences of being a non or ex smoker.  Keep thinking about all of the good things about not smoking.  Sickarettes certainly won't help those negative feelings...they will probably make you feel worse at this point if you choose to smoke.  NOPE!