cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roejo

Failing Fast

I have never been able to figure out how to join in discussions or express my concerns.  Still don't know what I'm doing!  Anyhow, my last cigarette was January 31, but I am getting worse, not better.  I wonder if anyone else has this problem.  I have no support at home--hubby 0f 41 years still smokes--hasn't seemed to bother me much, but triggers are killing me.  Haven't told friends because I'm too afraid I won't make it.  They would not be unhappy to see me fail because they all smoke!  I used the patches for six weeks and I don't want to go back to them.  I haven't used them since the middle of March.  I was telling myself I was doing just fine, then all of a sudden about a week ago, I wasn't.  I'm having a worse time now than in the beginning.  I hesitate to write this because I don't want to discourage anyone who has just quit, but I really need to know if anyone else has his a patch like this and most of all, how long did it last?

30 Replies

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. I think you might want to check out no mans land on this site. I had a couple of times where things were harder than before. I think how long this lasts depends on the person. If you latch onto a crave or even an addicted thought, your own mind can magnify how you really feel. I think the key is to change the mind set. Something you obviously wanted to do, because you came here to give your mind something new to think about. We don't have to think about smoking when we quit, we just do.

Your actions today could determine what your future looks like tomorrow. I hope you choose freedom over slavery. I wish you the best!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

tjanddj

You found the right place. Someone will be here to help you that has been through this. In the mean time write what ever you need to for this is the place to do it. There is a virtual bonfire today where we throw in all our unsmoked cigarettes I think you will find some people there. I will see if I can find the link for you. 

tjanddj

Bonfire starts at 7pm EDT

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Yes sometimes it does get worse before it gets better.  Here is a link to some reading that was written by JonesCarpeDiem‌.  Hopefully he will not mind me passing it along.  Lots of good information here.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/30774-what-to-expect-in-the-first-4-months

You don't need to go back to the patches. What you are feeling has nothing to do with nicotine after two months.

Every time you think of smoking say "I don't do that anymore"

Say it every time

you are now riding the roller coaster.  you are up one day and down the next.  hang on, though.  it does get better.  Do some reading in Relapse Prevention‌ and Wisdom and Motivation‌ also General Quitting Support‌.  click on the content tab and read some in those groups.  I lived with a doubting thomas too.  They were just waiting for me to cave because that's what I always did.  well, two and half years later, I'm still smoke free and you can be too......

Sootie

No worries.....what you are feeling is extremely normal. The path to a forever quit is not straight and has lots of twists and turns. I quit in November 2009 and in March of 2010 I was hit with the strongest desire to smoke again. We call it seasonal triggers but it can be anything at all. You need to be ready for it and expect it. You're not doing "worse".....this is just how a quit goes. Never be afraid to come on this site and express yourself. You never know who is out there reading and finds YOUR blog to be exactly how they are feeling. We help each other by sharing our experiences good and bad. This is a place of support and help. Reach out anytime. And----just HANG IN THERE. We quit day by day----minute by minute. But I PROMISE you it gets better. I no longer think of smoking and even have a hard time imagining a time when I was a smoker. It's a great feeling and you will get there.

Stay strong

Roejo

It's all been helpful.  I guess my problem is the number of people I know who went back to smoking after a long time quit:  My father went back after seven years--my sister went back after two years.  Not very encouraging, that.  So I was glad to hear about NML and I read about it.  I always come to this site when I'm feeling like I'm going to relapse, but I am not very confident about where to comment.  All sites have their own etiquette and I don't know this one.

the easiest way is to hit reply to a post you either have a question about or want to comment to, like I'm doing here.  I have a question for you, though, have you ever asked your sister or father why they went back to smoking?  There's always some reason why they went back.  You know, I could go back at any time, I just choose not to