cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roejo

Need guidance for communicating

This site is great for reading, but not user-friendly to people who are not computer savvy.  I have been reading for three months, but don't know where to go to get advice or tell my concerns.  I read another post just like this one and could not find where anyone had ever answered the post.  (Asking for guidance on how to communicate)  I don't know what @ Mention and # Tag mean.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Roejo

Okay, now I really don't know what I'm doing.  Someone else DID have the question--I read it myself.  And even if they didn't, does that mean I can't get an answer to It?  What kind of help is "No one else has this question?"

Roejo

I do not understand why I received this email from you.

0 Kudos

3 good places to talk about what's going on in your quit journey are Conversations, Post to my Blog and Ask and Share. The more we get to know you then our answers will be more on target. For example, my response may have been a misinterpretation of your question. I apologize if I missed the essence of your question. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Roejo wrote:

Okay, now I really don't know what I'm doing.  Someone else DID have the question--I read it myself.  And even if they didn't, does that mean I can't get an answer to It?  What kind of help is "No one else has this question?"

When you mark something as a question it gives others the opportunity to say that they also have it as a question.  This let's others know that the question has multiple people who want an answer. With this community there may be multiple answers when it comes to getting help with one's quit journey as each quit journey is unique.  The person who asks the question can mark a response they receive as the correct answer. Others in the community can mark a reply as a "helpful answer". This could guide others to what the community thinks as most helpful and it may differ from the person who asked the question.

Roejo wrote:

I do not understand why I received this email from you.

kelash.sarangani had marked your reply "Need guidance for communicating " as helpful so you got a notification that had your reply in it. Whenever something is marked as helpful, everyone subscribed to the topic receives an email. 

Roejo wrote:

This site is great for reading, but not user-friendly to people who are not computer savvy.  I have been reading for three months, but don't know where to go to get advice or tell my concerns. 

As mentioned in my reply  from before , if you wondering about quitting in general posting in Conversations‌ or one of our Groups  is best unless you're asking about how to use the site in which case Community Help‌ is the place to be.

Roejo wrote:

I read another post just like this one and could not find where anyone had ever answered the post.

I realized I had not responded to this in your original question so I'm ensuring that I respond to it today.  As mentioned above, each quit journey is unique so there may be more than one answer.  Additionally, the person who asks the question may get an answer in their email inbox and may never come back to the site the mark the response as correct so that may be another reason a question remains "unanswered" even though it may have multiple responses.  If you do ask a question and you have a response that works for you, you may mark it correct. If it partially helps you can mark the response as helpful.

If it wasn't helpful but you like their answer you could "like" it. This way the person knows you appreciate their response.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

The thing about this site is that they try to give us the best tools for communicating. When the new site rolled out, I was a bit confused myself. The @ symbol is a means of "tagging" someone so that this person see's that you mentioned them in your post. So, for example if I wanted to let you know that I mentioned you in a post I would use (@ and Roejo) Roejo‌ and you will get a message in your in box that someone mentioned you in their comment. Please keep asking. We really CAN teach you to communicate on this site! In the mean time, please keep your quit safe!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

The difference between a discussion and a blog is really one can be scheduled to post later and has a picture header (blog) and the other posts immediately and has no picture header.  Either one is acceptable.  Don't bother with the tags right now.  When you get more comfortable moving around, then mess around with them.  To make it simple for you, I would just blog right now and post it as your own personal blog.  Just simply go to the pencil on the upper right-hand side and select blog.  Again, as you get more comfortable, then you can post it to conversations or to different groups where you want it to go.  the @ symbol is just to notify a certain person that you're mentioning them.  If you want to message someone in particular, then go to then member directory and search for their screen name or go to their profile and select send personal message.  Those are messages that can only be seen by you and the other person, not the community at large.

I know when they switched over to this way of doing things, I was confused on what to select when it asked me where I wanted to publish something.  let's just make it simple for you and just use the blogging for now.  And always remember no question is ever a dumb question because we've all asked it at one time or the other 😉

JACKIE1-25-15

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/72254-mentions @menton to find out how to do something you can go to Community Help, on the magnifying icon is the search engine.  Type in your question, What when where how who, topics will come up select and read the one that best answers your question.  If that fails just do what you did, ask a question. 

elvan

Sorry you have been having a rough time.  When you use the @ symbol and someone's user name...it highlights and gives you a choice of people to choose from.  I usually blog...go to the little pencil at the top of the page next to your avatar and scroll down to blog.  Write whatever you want, you will get answers.  PLEASE let us know how you are doing, introduce yourself to us and we will reach out to you and do whatever we can to help.  Everyone here wants you to succeed and we are more that willing to help you.

Best,

Ellen

karenjones

It sounds to me like you are communicating fine.  You went to this site and posted on your own blog and people are answering, isn't that what it is about?