cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BHnCA

I QUIT A DAY EARLY

My original quit date was for today, but yesterday morning at 7:34 a.m. I smoked the last remaining cigarette in my stash. Before I even finished smoking it I was already thinking I would drive into town for another pack, but something else said “WHY? You already know you’re going to quit, so why not do it now?”  The mere cost for a pack of cigarettes in CA is nearly $10 now. Saving that much money was good incentive for not going to the store, but it really isn’t why I quit early.  I wanted, instead, to test the waters, get a feel for what a “real” quit would feel like. I honestly didn’t expect to get through the rest of the day without smoking, but I did so I decided to stay with it.  It wasn’t without a couple of rough moments, though, even with the patch on.   

First and foremost I kept focused on the main reason I want to quit: my health.  I know if I don’t make this a successful quit, the symptoms from COPD are going to kill me sooner rather than later.  Plus, I’d rather breathe than smoke. So I kept very busy, doing whatever I could find to distract myself. Sometimes I deliberately didn’t distract myself from an urge, but would focus on how it felt, instead, why it surfaced when it did, and if giving in to it would make any difference in how I felt or with whatever was going on at that moment. I kept coming back to this site, reading, sometimes replying and/or looking thru other sites, like whyquit.com.  As the day went on I tracked feelings, cravings and thoughts in my journal.  Sometimes I breathed through a crave while visualizing the oncoming urgency of a wave crashing to shore, then receding back into itself. I sucked on honey filled hard candies a couple times.  At one point I ate an entire bag of sliced carrots. LOL.  Whatever it takes, right? 

I’m only 27 hours into this quit, but I already feel my breathing easing up - not an enormous difference, but enough to know that smoking cessation will help me in the long run. I didn’t even have to rely on a nebulizer treatment yesterday. But heading into No Man’s Land isn’t going to be a slam dunk. I know that, especially, because it’s not the addiction, itself, that’s been so difficult for me to fight in the past but, rather, the habits engrained so deeply inside from smoking for so long. Those are my real monsters.  They have a way of rearing their heads at the least expected moment and with ferocious power. When it happens, I just have to work a little bit harder, suck on more candies, and eat more carrots!

10 Replies
indingrl

Too cool....CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW NON SMOKER DAY.....YAHOOOOO GOOD JOB! 

gregp136

You have started on a wonderful smoke free road.  Enjoy the great people and support here.  It is a great, growth filled experience you have embarked on.  You are doing super!

JACKIE1-25-15

On a Day WON!

GyorgyiM

Stay Committed But Flexible - https://wholebodyliving.com/stay-committed-flexible/ -Whole Body Living-#Achieve, #Approach, #Committed, #Decisions, #Flexible, #FlexibleInYourApproach, #Goals, #Inspiring, #Life, #Motivating, #Plans, #StayCommittedInYourDecision, #Success

BHnCA

Thank you, everybody, for your messages and images of support! It means a lot to me.

0 Kudos
Lisaml

Way to go!!!! I know you can do this;-) you have such a great positive attitude it will serve you well! 

Good job!!! 

MichelleDiane

Sounds like you have really good insight into yourself.  That is a great help when quitting.  Stay close to the site and welcome  

maryfreecig

Congratulations!

elvan

Congratulations...I am SO HAPPY for you.  When I used to read the blogs of other newbies, back when I was one of them, I would always envy them noticing such improvements early in their quits.  I waited too long for that to happen, breathing is not likely to ever be easy for me but it beats the Hell out of the alternative.

You are DOING this!

Ellen