cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ebh111

The last one

So I quit on Monday, today marks the 3rd day nicotine free and I’m feeling determined and confident, more confident than I have the past few quit attempts. 

My thoughts always go back to wanting my “last one”. I. E now that I’ve escaped nicotine’s evil clutches I want to enjoy one last smoke before I say good bye forever. Closure of sorts but I recognize that it’s my addiction trying to rationalize smoking again.

i appreciate that this is rediculous reasoning and completely counter intuitive to what I want but can’t help to try and rationalize it in my mind. Can anyone relate? Any words of wisdom? I’m afraid that eventually I’ll give in to “just one last smoke”.

8 Replies
MarilynH

Stick with N.O.P.E  - Not One Puff Ever and Vigilance because once you quit you must keep moving forward and stacking up your precious Days of Freedom so each evening you can look yourself in the mirror and smile and say yay for another Day WON because relapsing isn't the answer because one cigarette would put you back into the throws of smoking again and another Day ONE would totally suck big time but another Day WON is awesome, you can do this quit believe it deep breaths and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can, read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom because S.I.N.A.O Smoking Is Not An Option anymore, congratulations on your precious 3 glorious Smokefree days and counting.....Ebh111

Ebh111

Thank you.  

0 Kudos
Lisaml

I can totally relate! But, it would put you back at day 1 and wake up all the withdrawal all over again. 

Like Marilyn says, NOPE. That can’t happen. 

I understand you THINK you want to enjoy and savour it, but you’re right- that’s a mind game to get you back in the pitfall. 

Truth be told, you’d prob get all light headed and nauseous and would not enjoy it at all! 

Hang in there! You kicked it to the curb for a reason. Don’t look back!;-) 

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

Good for you for recognizing the addiction whispering lies to you!  "Last one", indeed!  As if one more would ever be enough.  Proud of you for not falling for that!!

Go-You.png

JACKIE1-25-15

0 Kudos
TW517

I can't tell you how many times I said, "Just one more puff".  And then that turned into, "Just one more cigarette".  And then it was just 2.  And then, "Well, OK, if I just keep it to 5 a day, that's way less than the pack I day I was smoking, and anything less is good, right?"  Of course, you know what happens next.  

Sandi4

I can totally relate.  After a 9 year relapse, I made a very sudden decision to quit.   I live in GA  but was in NY for the Christmas holidays and I promised myself I wouldn't pay $13 for a pack, which was what I paid the last time I was up there.  I finished the 4 cigarettes I left GA with and that was it.

I think I was just over a week quit when I remembered this site.  People were discussing how their quit dates were approaching and I suddenly panicked! "Wait a minute, I didn't plan this."  "I need to read more."  "I don't have  tool kit!" 

Thank goodness, I kept seeing blogs about not repeating Day One and having another Day Won.  Since I had insomnia for the first several weeks I'd spend every night reading new blogs, then related blogs, then the bios of the people who wrote the blogs....Doing this got me past every nagging thought about starting over.  Not only is this an incredibly informative site but it serves as a great distraction when you're having a crave.  As I'm sure you've heard by now, stay close!  You've got this and we've got you!

Sandi

145 DOF (No do-overs)

0 Kudos
elvan

I think the THOUGHT of that one last one would probably make it harder for me.  I had many failed quits in the past...so many that I lost count BUT this time, I got so sick that my quit took over...I don't really remember my last cigarette but I can tell you that I THOUGHT I was going to breathe my last breath.  I am not sure I have ever felt so frightened in my life..I felt like I was not going to have a chance to say good bye to my family...my youngest daughter was in South Korea, teaching.  My husband and son were with me, my oldest daughter was in NY and I live in VA.  It was terrifying and I KNEW that I could not deny what smoking had done to me any longer.  I had pneumonia, I already had COPD but this put me into such a flare that I could not even get from my bed to the bathroom without having to stop and hold onto the wall.  My heart rate was over 200 as my poor old heart tried to get oxygen...no more.  I don't have to figure out when or where I can smoke any more.   I don't have to miss moments with my friends or family members because I am sneaking off to smoke.  I smell better...in BOTH ways...I CAN smell more now and I don't smell like an ashtray.  I can pick out a smoker from several feet away because of the smell...I cannot believe that I smelled like that.  How embarrassing.  I smoked for 47 years with some short term, failed quits, I always quit when I was pregnant because the smell made me sick...thankfully, it was much safer for my kids.  I have been quit for over four years now and I thank this site for helping me to stay free.  

So happy that you are going to start your journey.

Ellen

0 Kudos