cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

naemays

Irritability

So, I'm on day THREE! Since I joined the Ex community, this has been the best/easiest go at quitting. I know that the first week is considered "Hell Week" - I totally get that! Any thoughts as to how to fight off the irritability?? I have a great husband, but in all honesty, I can't stand him right now! Poor guy! Any thoughts as to softening my heart toward him while I'm in such a sensitive and irritable mood? 

11 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Deep breathing helps. Getting the proper amount of rest can contribute to a better attitude. Communicating with your husband what you are going through may also help.  Use the search magnifying glass (top right) type in whatever topic and read blogs or comments to get more ideas. 

naemays

Great! Thank you so much!!! 

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

Have you asked for his support?  Guys (in general) like concrete directions, so maybe if you asked him to make you a cup of tea, or to go get you some snacks that would help both of you.

0 Kudos
naemays

He's super supportive. I did tell him that with my quitting right now, I just don't like him! His response was "i'm sorry - I'll try to be more likable!" Thanks for the reminder to keep asking for his support and giving him specifics in ways that he can help!

naemays

He's super supportive. I did tell him that with my quitting right now, I just don't like him! His response was "i'm sorry - I'll try to be more likable!" Thanks for the reminder to keep asking for his support and giving him specifics in ways that he can help!

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

WARNING ! 

Stay away from him as much as you can.....This is a layer of yourself you may NOT want to  share! LOL

Okay, I was just kidding....

Pretty much just what everyone here  is suggesting....I kept myself as busy as humanly possible, ate a lot, constantly talked to myself (or to my pets), and took millions of "deep breaths", because it was like smoking but NOT...and it did relax me physically as well as mentally. Exercise, keep busy, busy, busy....I couldn't even watch a dang TV show, but I knew it was all temporary and well worth the discomforts....I am at 84 days and still healing....

YOU CAN DO THIS !

naemays

Haha! Luckily for him, he's at work for 12 hours! I'm waiting for this to pass!!! Thanks for the encouragement! I've had several times of that dang voice telling me that this is not the time to quit, to just try again another time but I keep reminding myself of the reasons why I'm quitting and just pushing through it! Ready to be done with this mood! I don't like being grumpy! I like being fun and cheerful! Ha!s

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

Look behind you, see? All those past minutes and moments that are now behind you! You made it through those and you will make it through these.........remember, it's temporary...

elvan

It WILL get better...you might want to gently remind him of that...tell him that you really hope that he understands that you are at the beginning of this journey and that your crabbiness is just your addiction trying to pull you back in.  As smokers, we stuffed our feelings into our addictions and when we quit...they come out...sometimes with MUCH more intensity that we ever expected.  It's a normal part of the journey.

Welcome to EX, stay close to the site, read, blog, comment, and do what works for you.

Ellen