cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JACKIE1-25-15

Lemon Chicken Chickpea Soup

Lemon Chicken Chickpea Soup

Moroccan inspired lemon chicken soup with chickpeas, rice, turmeric, and cumin. Delicious!

• Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 1 hour
  • Yield: Serves 4 to 6

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 celery rib, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 Tbsp)
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or powdered ginger)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 2-3 strips of lemon zest from one lemon
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup basmati rice
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
  • Cilantro or parsley for garnish

METHOD

1 Coat the chicken pieces with the spices: Whisk the salt, turmeric, cumin, and black pepper together in a medium bowl. Add the chicken pieces and toss with the spices to coat.

2 Brown the chicken in olive oil: Heat olive oil in a large, thick-bottomed soup pot on medium high. Add the chicken pieces and brown lightly on all sides, 5-7 minutes total. Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside.

3 Sauté onions, celery, garlic, ginger: Add the chopped onion and celery to the pot. Sauté until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook a minute more.

4 Add chicken, stock, bay leaves, lemon zest strips, then simmer: Add the chicken pieces back to the pot. Add the stock, bay leaves, lemon zest strips. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.

5 Add rice, chickpeas, lemon juice, simmer: Add the rice, chickpeas, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked through.

6 Add salt pepper to taste: Remove bay leaves and lemon peel strips. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro or parsley to serve.

Labels (1)
14 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

My recipe for today.  Doing some meal prepping. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

OK - I do the low carb thing - when I do anything 

ZUCCHINI AND MEATBALLS

1 LB LOW FAT GROUND BEEF

1 EGG

SEASON TO TASTE WITH SALT, PEPPER, GARLIC, ITALIAN SEASONING

MIX WELL AND SHAPE INTO 12 MEAT BALLS

SIMMER IN 29 OZ OF TOMATO SAUCE WITH A DRIZZLE OF OLIVE OIL, GARLIC, ITALIAN SEASONING, AND SALT UNTIL DONE.

ADD 2 LARGE OR 4 SMALL  SPIRALIZED ZUCCHINI AND COOK UNTIL DONE.

MUSHROOM ARE ALSO A NICE ADDITION.

JACKIE1-25-15

This recipe was more time-consuming than I thought.  Or my a game may be off. .  Taste good though. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

But sounds good - may have to try it!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I keep in on warm overnight.  It is really good this morning.  Yum worth the extra effort. Had it for a morning appetizer, delicious.  Now for some french toast. lol

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

JACKIE1-25-15 wrote:

This recipe was more time-consuming than I thought.  Or my a game may be off. .  Taste good though. 

Hmmm, wonder what happened to your picture....

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I can see it. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Must be a private photo to you.  The icon suggests I don't have permission.

pastedImage_1.png

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

I could see it when she originally posted the picture but I cannot now.  I have noticed that with a few of Jackiie's pictures - also happened, I believe on her blog about beans.   I have not noticed it happening to other people pictures.

0 Kudos