cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karenjones

Co-worker smoking

I'm a gardener and last week we hired a new gardener who announced that she had chosen her first day at work to quit smoking. Good for her.  Second day at work she says she forgot her nrt patch but remembered her cigarettes. So now smoking on the job. This is kind of pissing me off. I am 58 days free and my brother had 2 vertebrae and 4 ribs and one third of a lung removed last week (vaping for 4 years), please advise as how to tell her that I don't appreciate her smoking anywhere near me.... Or am I out of line and should just put up with it???

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Lisaml

I think if you respectfully and politely ask her to keep them out of your sight/breathing space, she should understand. 

Its a touchy subject but she should be able to empathize and be respectful. Especially if she also wishes to quit. 😉 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

You could kindly let her know that you prefer not to be around second-hand smoke.  It is your right not to have it around you.  Let her know you would truly appreciate if she took her smokes somewhere else.  Nonsmokers have more rights than smokers.  It's the law in most places.  I don't know what your employer policy is. 

MichelleDiane

That is literally a stinky situation.  Advocating for yourself can be uncomfortable, but look at how uncomfortable you are without saying anything.  You've worked hard on your quit and have had a dear family member affected by vaping.  There is no harm in letting your co-worker know.  There's more harm in not.  Just be honest and open.  Best of luck in this situation.  Let us know how it goes and know you can always find support, validation, encouragement, and empathy here.

-Michelle

Barbscloud

Of course you can ask someone not to smoke around you, but personally I feel it's their right to smoke.  I always respected others wishes when it came to not smoking around them.  I'm still around smokers-my sister and brother smoke.  I even go out on the porch with my sister when she's at my house.  Don't feel like I can impose my quit on everyone else.   Just my two cents.

62DOF  

JACKIE1-25-15

There is a difference between the personal right to smoke in your home or your personal space as opposed to the right to smoke in public or workplace. It is also regarding the law in your vicinity. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Isn't an issue if it's illegal or violates employer's policy.  Aside from that, I never had issue with people smoking outside.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Most smokers don't have a problem with people smoking outside.  It is the nonsmokers that do.  As we become nonsmokers our preference does change. Especially if you are new at quitting and want to protect it by any means necessary.  There are two sides to every coin. The non smoker can leave the area where there is smoking going on if the smoker will not comply.

Barbscloud

We can agree to disagree.   I consider myself a non-smoker now and still don't have a problem with people smoking outside.   Everyone else doesn't have to change their behavior because of someone else's addiction (no matter what the addiction)>

0 Kudos
karenjones

well, Jackie, she is smoking while should be working. the rest of us are working and she is smoking.,  she is not getting paid to smoke.

0 Kudos