cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

meldavis99

My Quit Date is Tomorrow

I have been somewhat preparing for this for a couple of months now, and have gone through a few different check lists to prepare...but always come up with an excuse to put it off. The one thing I was not doing all these times was telling people - partially because I have tried and failed previously and feel kind of silly telling people about something, only to relapse a few days later. 

But, with the last few attempts that turned into delays, I have realized that is one of the most important steps for me. So, I have told some people, am making an announcement tomorrow on my social media pages, telling my mom (most important, as she has been my biggest supporter in the past), and am really going to go for it. I think that is actually my first step in holding myself accountable. 

I have a quit buddy who may not be as serious about quitting as me (although she has been on and off the quit train a few times in the past year), but will absolutely help hold me to quitting when possible. 

I have made a list of triggers, have been abstaining while driving most of the time (kind of my force, as I have traveled a lot lately and have been in rental cars), have come up with a list of non-smoking activities that I'm keeping on me in a notepad. 

I have my last pack that will be destroyed (not just tossed) before I go to bed tonight, and have gotten rid of my ashtrays. I have cleaned and scrubbed areas with smoke residue (the car was a chore - I'll probably need to get it detailed this week), and one of my first-hand trigger supplements tomorrow will be laundry. 

I have a water bottle to carry around, along with carrot sticks, some hard candy (although I don't want to rely on that), and have some tea tree/mint toothpicks coming in the mail tomorrow. The very first time I quit, for over 2 years, those helped the daily cravings a lot. 

I think I've prepared pretty decently this time, more so than I have in the recent past. I am going cold turkey, bc I've never really liked the replacement options. The patches were too intense (even at lowest dosages), and I'd honestly rather get the nicotine out of my system and start moving forward. 

Does anyone have any advice to give for additional steps, or how to get through the first day, and then week? I have read a lot of articles on the page so far, but am just getting around to looking at the community boards. 

Labels (1)
11 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome.  Looks like today is your quit day and you've done some preparing. Way to go! I'm sure there will be several people along shortly with some recommendations and suggestions based on their own individual experience. Keep a journal today and tag it "The_Day_I_Quit". It will be good to have to look back on in the future to see how far you've come.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. Get started on this site if haven't already, go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and if there are any areas you need to address such as tracking, triggers, videos, etc.   You have come to the right place for a new day and a new beginning.. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. You can do this. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Remember: Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking

gregp136

This is it!  This is so great!!! Keep us updated.  You are doing this!  Keep close to this site, and beat that nasty Nicotine bully!

AnnetteMM

A great way to keep yourself distracted today is to read, read, read!  All the blogs on here are helpful, especially the Best of Ex from the elders.

Deena-A-Yenni

You can do this.  One day at a time.

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   Wow, looks like you've done all the preparation.   Couldn't have gotten off to a better start.  What helped me the most this time is staying close to this site.  If you need help, ask for it.  Just coming back to the Ex and reading/writing can be a real distraction.  I've done that many times to help work through a craving.  Having the support of like minded people with the same goal inspires me to be successful on this journey.  You can do this.

62DOF

elvan

Education, commitment, and support are vital to a successful quit.  I had many failed quits in the past...once I found EX...I told EVERYONE about it and about my quit...everyone EXCEPT for my youngest daughter because I had let her down so many time in the past.  She was out of the country when I quit...my date wasn't exactly planned, I got sick...SO SICK that I knew I had to quit or else I was going to die.  I had been sick in the past and when I started to feel better...I would always go back to smoking.  This time...I didn't feel better.  So much damage had been done that I HAD to stay quit or I had to pretty much say goodbye to my beloved family.  I know I have dramatically shortened my life by smoking for years, but I am doing everything I possibly can to take care of myself now and that CERTAINLY does not include smoking.

Stay close to the site...read blogs, comment, blog, ask questions...pay attention to the answers and know that we ALL want you to be successful on this journey.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

maryfreecig

As you smober up, remember why you are quitting. Your own reasons and motivations matter most--the temptation to smoke never has to blur your reasons for quitting again. 

Susan57

Hello Mel,

first , congratulations on making the decision to stop smoking.

this is the best and most forward step to a life without cigarettes, matches, lighters, ashtrays, and finding a spot to put all this together. You are going to love being a non-smoker, a truly a wonderful life.

On September 1st 2018 will be 9 years being a non-smoker and this site and whyquit.com was a tremendous help, besides all the food!  And I did take advantage of the “I am trying to quit smoking” as a license to eat and eat and I did. The weight I did put on was about 10 lbs, in fact I just took that extra weight off with the help of Weight Watchers. 

I smoked about 45 years or so, give and take a few years. When I did start cigarettes were so cheap compared to today. When I started the fact of stopping someday never entered my mind and cigarette ads were on tv, in magazines, on billboards, and newspapers. The decision was made to quit, the date was picked, tried to put all the paraphernalia away, and stopped. It was tough, very tough after about 3 days. 

Mel, stick with your quit, take each day at a time, when the urge comes eat! If I can stop you can. 

Remember, this site is very helpful and also visit   whyquit.com      Also very helpful.  God bless you on your journey!

a fellow quitter, Susan Sweet