cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

noknowing

First two days

Jump to solution

After a series of dumb choices and not reaching out I’m back at day one. My trouble comes at day two.  I’m open to any and all ideas - how the heck did you get through day one and day two? I’m open to ANYTHING

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteMM

Day One can be exciting, looking forward to a new you.  Day two is reality.  How have you tried to deal with it before that didn't work for you?  What can you do to distract yourself from dwelling on your withdrawal from nicotine?  Use the search feature here to look up coping techniques and other things to do rather than smoke.  In answer to your question, you get through by slogging ahead, not smoking, not giving in, repeating Not One Puff Ever (NOPE), and Smoking Is Not An Option, and "I don't do that anymore."

View solution in original post

23 Replies
AnnetteMM

Day One can be exciting, looking forward to a new you.  Day two is reality.  How have you tried to deal with it before that didn't work for you?  What can you do to distract yourself from dwelling on your withdrawal from nicotine?  Use the search feature here to look up coping techniques and other things to do rather than smoke.  In answer to your question, you get through by slogging ahead, not smoking, not giving in, repeating Not One Puff Ever (NOPE), and Smoking Is Not An Option, and "I don't do that anymore."

noknowing

This helps. My pitfalls have been- finding a pack of cigarettes. And being alone in my house where cigarettes are. I think moving my body physically somewhere else. And calling someone as soon as I realize there are cigarettes around and no accountability 

gregp136

What is it for you that makes day two a failure?  Are the nicotine voices in your head louder?  Is there a greater focus on the fear that you will be missing nicotine forever?  Are you tired out from fighting on day one?  Are you angrier?  Grumpier?  Sadder?  

We all respond differently.  Look into yourself and dig for the answers.  One advantage of quitting smoking is that you can get to know yourself better.  

MarilynH

It's wonderful to see you gregp136.

TW517

The first 3-5 days are pure hell for most.  That’s why you see so many here say they never want to go through that again.  It’s not like a terrible illness, injury or emotional crisis that you have no choice but to live with until it passes.  By quitting smoking, we are actively deciding minute-by-minute to take whatever discomfort comes our way.  Unlike an illness, injury or crisis, we can end our non-smoking discomfort at any time.  That is what makes quitting so hard I think.  We have to decide over and over and over again not to smoke.  The only advice I can offer is to think of it as a decision not to smoke.  If you think of it as “trying” to quit, you give yourself permission to fail.  Like, “Well, I tried, but it just didn’t work”.  There is no “trying”.  You either quit, or you don’t.  And as a wise elder here says, the only way out is through.

Maybe you should try a different approach.  Are you using an NRT or cold turkey?  If you are using an NRT, try a different one.  If you are going cold turkey, try an NRT. 

AnnetteMM

Respectfully disagree there...if already nicotine-free, stay that way.

0 Kudos

She can't get past the first few days so she is NOT nicotine free.  If she needs assistance getting past those few days, then it is absolutely okay to use NRT's.

noknowing

Thanks Kristen! I have tried nrts in the past but wanting to do it cold turkey this time. 

0 Kudos