cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kmarinello

Non Smoking Fatty

Last year I found out I had slightly high cholesterol and triglyceride so I started eating right and exercising resulting in a loss of 25 pounds and great improvement in my blood work within 6 months. Then I quit smoking 13 weeks ago and gained back 15 pounds!! I’m not happy about this at all! I am back to exercising and improving my diet again (I slacked off once I hit my goal weight and kept it stable), but two weeks in and I feel like it’s more difficult to move the scale. I have actually not lost 1 single pound!! I know it’s only 2 weeks so far, but has anyone else experienced a gain that was more difficult to lose as a non smoker? Is it just in my head? Am I making excuses for myself...again? 

24 Replies
Posamari

Yes! I gained 22 lb. after I quit, I exercise RELIGIOUSLY plus practice yoga , eat healthy---mainly a plant based diet. Although I have gained muscle, I've had an extremely difficult time losing weight. Seems impossible. It's not just in your head. Very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

I gained 20 here, and it is not coming off no matter how little I eat and I go to the gym, or bicycling!  But, I do find that because of the gym and bicycling, I am toning what I have gained.  I can live with this, but not with gaining anymore!  

You are not making excuses.  The struggle is real, but I'd rather be a little over weight, than be killing myself smoking.

desiree465

Could age be a factor? I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly only just a few years back. Then I gained it back and then some. Now I am back to losing weight but it has taken longer. I started my weight lose before I quit smoking and am doing the exact same thing I did a few years ago (less calories more exercise) but the weight isn't coming off as easily. My point is I attribute it to my age and not quitting smoking. Because I don't think quitting smoking slows your metabolism but age certainly does. It's a freaking bummer. 

pir8fan

Breaking my cardinal rule about discussing weight with ladies:

I have better than 8 years of quit behind me now, but I remember the weight gain when I quit! I actually wrote in a blog “ at this rate in a year I will die of morbid obesity, but at least my coffin will not smell like an ashtray “! I was told that smoking burns calories, so I needed to adjust! I am not good at adjusting!

The long and short of the story is that weight came and then went! If you add exercise, fat turns to muscle! Muscles weigh more than fat! So, don’t get too caught up with the numbers on the scale. Listen to your body! If you are not smoking and eating “reasonably” and exercising! You will be more healthy!

Live Free my Friends! Live Smoke Free!     Tommy

Sandy-9-17-17

Very SOLID advice Tommy!

0 Kudos
cornelia0214

Thank you for your email.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:36 PM marciem <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

Nicotine is a stimulant.  Without it, your metabolism has changed.  It'll take time to find a new normal.

Sandy-9-17-17

Just found this on WebMD.  If people are considering quitting, this should be shared right up front!  

"Cigarettes activate your metabolism," says Cynthia Purcell, MS, a nutritionist and smoking cessation therapist in the smoking cessationprogram at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. "You burn about 250 calories if you smoke a pack a day. So when you quit and your metabolism slows down, your body has these extra calories it has to deal with, and many people gain weight."

Most people gain about two pounds during the first couple of weeks after quitting.  

Not only does your metabolism slow, but your digestive track slows down as well, so add these two things together.

The only thing to stop anyone from this experience is to teach early on before one starts smoking at all! 

"People who quit tend to think, 'It's only been two weeks and I've gained two pounds. What's it going to be like in two months?' And they go back to smoking to avoid the weight gain," Purcell tells WebMD.

"If they'd just stick with it, they'd realize it's not going to be a pound or two every week, and their metabolism will even out. On average, most people only gain between 5-7 pounds in total after quitting."

And when you consider the benefits of a smoke-free lifestyle -- both inside and out -- those few extra pounds may not mean as much.

"The lungs, heart, and the arteries will start repairing themselves almost immediately after the last puff," says Purcell.

Not only that, but your skin clears up and starts to look smoother, your fingernails stop looking yellow, your breath improves, and your teeth can be bright again. All these less-obvious benefits of smoking will have you looking great, even if you put on a few, says Purcell.

So you're ready to quit, and you want to minimize the weight gain. Is it cold-turkey time, or is it time to strategize and plan?

Plan ahead as you are reading up on the tools you will need for quitting!  It is so worth it to have a plan in place!  You want to succeed so make a plan!

Here is a helpful link for newcomers to consider!      Boost Your Metabolism When Quitting Smoking | Metabolism.com 

AnnetteMM

Yeah, like I said LOL