cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Gluten-Free Diet?

HI everyone!  I went to the dr. yesterday and he said to go to a gluten-free diet for several problems I'm having.  As if giving up smoking wasn't hard enough now I have to give up food!  Yes it's healthy, and yes there a lots of good things to eat BUT it's hard to know what some foods have in them that's actually a wheat derivative. Anyone know what "food starch" contains? 

I feel like I've bled my life out having to give up more of the things I like or that I'm the baby that had all her candy taken away.  It's not the worst thing ever, it'll just take a while to get used to, just like not smoking did (and still does).

Anyhow my question is really:  How do you eat when you're travelling?  Three of us are headed to a huge metal concert this weekend and will be traveling and staying in a hotel w/ no cooking appliances.  We will have to eat out but I can bring my protein bars and shakes to help out.  I can't take food into the grounds of the concert so I will probably not eat all day (and night) unless someone can tell me what types of foods from vendors I might be able to eat.  WE LEAVE TOMORROW so a quick response would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
25 Replies
desiree465

Yikes! My sis in law is gluten free she had to do a ton of research to figure out how to eat gluten free. It's a pain in the butt for her. She usually has to know the menu of restaurants before hand so that she can either ask to make adjustments or see if they have gluten free options. Starches like potatoes don't have gluten in them, they're just starches. Is it painful for you to eat gluten? If not and you are doing this for other reasons then I say wait till you get back and can read up on gluten free diets. I really feel for you best of luck:)

0 Kudos
minihorses

Thanks.  I started doing research yesterday when I got home from the dr. I stopped at the grocery store on the way back to pick up a couple gluten-free items to replace things I had at home.  EXPENSIVE! I can't afford to eat this way.  So far i've printed out about 5 pages of the things that I could eat and mostly the things to stay away from, what to look for on labels, terms in menus that indicate gluten...  This is a major pain in the butt.  There's no way I can go 100% free.  My goal is 95% gluten-free because you can't identify everything that might have it.  Either way, I am not amused to say the least.

0 Kudos
desiree465

I know it sucks! Especially if you live in an area where gluten free isn't a "thing" yet. My area is getting better. A lot of restaurants will have the gluten free items labeled or at least are very accommodating. My sis in-law has said that after being GF for a awhile it has started to get easier to identify GF foods and recipes that don't taste gross. 

ShawnP

Just saw this after i commented. It is expensive to buy those special breads, crackers etc. It really is better to go without and do healthy eating. Meat, veggies, fruit.

minihorses

Thanks for the great info.  I get abscesses in strange places a lot. Blood tests are all good though. So my dr. told me to eat gluten free because he said it would lessen the frequency of getting them and they may go away forever.  He may be full of garbage but I'll give anything a try to get rid of them!

0 Kudos
KMC56

I read an article on the pros and cons if a gluten free diet as it seems a lot of people 8 know have been placed on this 'diet'.  I'm only putting this out there..as people who have been diagnosed with the intestinal damage from gluten have had no problems.  But those that go on the gluten free diet without real cause can really do damage to their bodies.  My girlfriend who decided to go gluten free, thought it would be a healthy choice, became almost chronically ill.

Don't stress..and educate yourself in this diet plan, and ofcouse don't smoke over It!

Enjoy your concert  and have fun!

~Kathy 

TW517

I heard a story on NPR a few weeks ago about how dangerous it is to go gluten free unless you have been definitely diagnosed with celiac disease (with 2 or more doctors agreeing on that diagnosis).  Scared me enough to talk to my doctor and a dietitian.  Both chastised me no end for going gluten free, and gave me a healthy diet that was easy to follow.

elvan

TW517   I heard something to that effect not long ago.  When people at the cafe place an order for gluten free, we ask if it is an allergy/intolerance or if it is just a "preference" because the kitchen goes to great lengths to prepare gluten free orders so that they do not come into contact with other orders.  I don't think my brother ever had celiac disease but he was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndome and then Hashimoto's and had to have his thyroid removed.  He has tried virtually every "healthy" diet you can imagine but he SWEARS that this one works for him.

I am not about to argue with my brother...I do wonder if he was ever TOLD to try gluten free by a doctor.

ShawnP

I dont have trust in drs..these days. I do a lot of research on net, not believing everything though unless there are many that are saying same thing. I think everybody's bodies are different. What works for one might not work for another. We wouldn't have problem these days if they weren't processing our food with so much junk. No wonder our bodies are retaliating.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device