cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pbrockway

Promise

Hello everyone,

I am on my third week smoke free, at times I think it had gotten easier and then boom, here comes that not nice thought and image of having just one smoke.

Of course I made a promise to myself that I am never smoking again.  So do the cravings and thoughts ever go away.

12 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Three weeks you are doing great. Of course, the thoughts go away.  However, if you have smoked for a long time it will take time. The idea is to have a plan to distract when you have those thoughts.  Realize that just because you think of something is not a reason to act upon it.  Hang tough, stay close, read, study blog.  The suggested material is important for you to understand the addiction to nicotine.  www.whyquit.com  read Nicotine 101 if you haven't.  Check out My Journey Home Freedom from Nicotine on that same website and study also.   No matter what is happening is not a reason to some.  NO MATTER WHAT NOPE.  You have made a promise to yourself for keeps. 

elvan

The cravings and thoughts become memories and carry no serious feelings behind them.  We associated many activities with smoking and like JACKIE1-25-15‌ says..."if you have smoked for a long time it will take time."  This really IS a journey and it is one day at a time, one step at a time, three weeks is awesome.  You will need to make new associations for the times when you smoked, you need to do different things.  This IS not only possible...it is the best gift you can give yourself and the rewards are amazing.

It gets easier and easier...I PROMISE.

Ellen

Roller831

I agree with Jackie and Ellen.  It does get easier and easier.  I promise.  Maybe take a read of this:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/rollercoaster831/blog/2018/04/13/the-icky-3s 

There is a great thread with tons of great info on it here:  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)

I still read /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months?sr=search...‌ from time to time.  The entire first year will bring new experiences as a non-smoker and your old self will try to remember the smoking memories.  This is the most difficult part in my opinion.  Celebrate those new memories and hang onto them,,,,those will keep you strong and going.

Cheers to it getting easier!

Roller

maryfreecig

Yes, the cravings go away, the brain adapts, you relearn life without the smokes. Congrats on three!

LisaAnnIndy74

First off, CONGRATS on 3 weeks! That is awesome!! And to answer your question, Yes they do go away over time. Your brain is relearning how to respond to things now without the nicotine, or as I call it the Nicodemon. Be proud that you have been able to not give in. I agree with Jackie, stay close to the community, read, take a walk, find articles in here that will help. Always remember NOPE, Not One Puff Ever. You got this and we are all here for you!!!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are things with you?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
pbrockway

Things are going good.  I am 4 weeks smoke free.

Although dome days can be a challenge but I keep moving forward.

I am trying to teach my brain that I no longer smoke.

elvan

There are always going to be good days and bad days and we used to smoke more on bad days...you are doing GREAT, four weeks is STELLAR!  CONGRATULATIONS!

0 Kudos

those bad days are normally triggered by the simplest things.  It could be the first rain since you quit, season change, thinking that well, I've got this beat, so one isn't going to hurt has crossed all of our minds very early in our quits, but it's the addictive brain talking to you.  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2016/09/06/a-quit-dialogue-in-iv-acts , one of the very first things I read on here and it made it all fall into place

0 Kudos