cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pbrockway

Sore gums

Hi everyone,

Today is my 12th day smoke free, my question is it normal to have sore teeth and especially gums after quitting smoking?  It does make since to me, is there anything I can do for it.

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Could you be gritting your teeth?  EVERYTHING hurts in your mouth when you do that!  When you think about it, place your tongue between your teeth and that will prevent you from doing it!

Nancy

pbrockway

No I don't think so, but it's real sore. 

YoungAtHeart

Well, maybe think about what ELSE is different in your life.  I don't think this is from quitting smoking....but if you are really concerned, I would give your dentist a call.

Nancy

elvan

You might be gritting your teeth at night and not even know it.  Are you eating anything more acidic or higher in sugar that might be causing the soreness?  I ate lots and lots of Sour Patch Kids and they left my tongue and the roof of my mouth feeling ragged.  I don't think gum soreness is from not smoking but I agree with what Nancy said...if it continues and you are concerned, call your dentist.

TW517

I had sore gums and bleeding for about 6 weeks.  My dentist told me it was due to my quit.  I didn't understand it then.  And I don't understand it now.  But it eventually went away on it's own.

GyorgyiM

Actually .....yes. 

My gums bled for 3 days after I stopped smoking. Within a couple of months the circulation in your gums and teeth should be similar to that of a non smoker...I have a app on my phone called "Smoke Free" and it keeps track of all the expected changes and where YOU stand as far as your "quit" date and how far along you are in physical repair...

It's a free app and I love it!

Happy 12th day.....Keep it up...YOU GOT THIS !!

Miles of Smiles...

elvan

TW517 and GyorgyiM     Seriously, I had NO idea.  I was so sick when I quit that I am not sure I was even conscious for a while...I do not remember any issues with gum soreness.  I did have dental issues that had been ongoing for a while BEFORE I quit and many of them were related to smoking and/or taking prednisone for many years.  Well, that will go down as something new that I learned today.  Never too late to learn something.

IrishRose

Your body goes though so many adjustments after you quit smoking.  Grinding your teeth, eating mints, chewing gum, chewing on straws, etc., when you quit can cause that too. 

I too learned something new with TW517‌ and GyorgyiM‌ .   I do know that Fosamax will destroy your teeth.  UGH!

Irish Rose  

Mandolinrain

all part of the quit but if on doubt and it continues, go see your dentist. Meanwhile try a salt water rinse. one part salt to 3 parts warm water, swish and spit. Do not swallow.