cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gargantua65

Day 11 smoke free

Hi everyone, thanks for reading and being part if you like of this tough journey. Started champix about a month ago and now I have not smoked for eleven days. I was a chain smoker. In 2010 I stopped for almost five years and one day, I smoked one thinking I could control ir and soon I was a chain smoker again. This time is being a roller coaster, on day 2, I had the quitters flu for three day. Then I have been able to identify the cravings and work them out but yesterday on my day 10, I was in tears most of the day, told a friend horrible things, - my period came too so you can imagine-, feeling anxious, frustrated, very low and depressed. The cravings were terrible but with the help of this friend and lots of inner strength, I was able to make it. I felt exhausted emotionally though, drained. Champix numbs some of the anxiety and anger but when a bad day comes  it's a huge test

I'm hoping I can make it but still feeling low, although not so much. 

Thanks everyone 

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and your first 11 days!  You have learned an important lesson already: to an addict, there is no such thing as "just one."  Please take some time to learn about your addiction, and gather ways to make this journey a bit easier.  The better you understand your enemy, the easier this will be for you.

The most important thing you can do is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

Congratulations and welcome to EX...please read YoungAtHeart‌'s advice.  It is really important to read everything you can about nicotine addiction.  Be kind to yourself right now and remember that this is a journey and not an event, it is one day at a time, one step at a time and there certainly will be challenges.  We had good days and bad days when we smoked too.  No crave is going to kill you but no one can say that about smoking.  Stay close to the site, read, comment, blog...know that we have all been where you are and that we very much want you to succeed...we will do everything we can to help and support you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Giulia

Welcome a'board!  You can have a gargantuan quit if you just stay the course.  Yes, it most definitely IS a roller coaster ride.  Eleven days is like super duper wonderful.  Think back to the day before you quit and see how far you've come.  You can make it if you educate yourself and plan ahead for the days to come.  The more you know about the journey before you get to that part of the journey, the more prepared you are.  So sit down and just start reading.   Go to the two links that youngatheart offered you above.  You have to take charge of your quit.  Champix is only an aid.  YOU have to do the work.  Quitting makes us feel uncomfortable.  Angry, sad, tired...  Stress will always be a part of our lives, so that's just a given.  The object of the game is to find ways to alleviate the stress and discomfort without putting a cigarette back in our mouths.  A couple of basic things that help are simply deep, slow breathing and drinking water.  Breathing especially helps calm us down and gain a fresh perspective.  Try it!  You'll see that people frequently mention those two craving busters. Also, just type something like "how to get through a craving" or something similar in the community search box (upper right magnifier icon)  You'll find info all over the place here.   https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/95862-re-what-worked-best-for-you-to-get-past-a-crave?com... 

You CAN make it.  But you have to be willing to go through whatever it takes to get there.  Are you?  These people were  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=5abe053b-ed82-43d6-a...‌  Glad you've joined us.  Stick around.  You're doing great!

0 Kudos
Bree19

11 days!  That's huge.  Try not to "battle" or fight the cravings.  If you can breathe through them, then drink water, then do something physical (sweep the floor while listening to music and start dancing with the broom), the crave passes in mere seconds and the less you fight it, the more you learn from  each crave.

Bree

Barbscloud

Welcome.  At day 41, know all the emotions you're feeling.  I describe it as feeling sad for no apparent reason. The cravings and the emotional roller coaster does lessen with time.  Reach out for help when you need it.  There is great support here.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and if there are any areas you need to address get started.

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smok

MichelleDiane

Hang in there gargantua65.  You quit for very long time in the past, so you can do it again.  I know it is difficult, but as the Elders say it is "doable".  I have found that meditation works for me as well as some deep breaths during difficult moments.  Keep going.  I know I don't want to start at day one again.  Been there, done that.  Think about the days you've WON for the inspiration to keep going forward in your journey.

-Michelle

Gargantua65

Thanks everyone for the kind support and very very useful links. It's certainly one day at a time. Feeling sad again but just working at home, luckily. Having some couple issues at the back of my mind is not helpful. But I do find meditation is a great relief  thank for reading, hanging there! 

0 Kudos
elvan

You are doing great...feeling sad at the beginning of a quit is really quite normal.  Many of us went through a kind of grieving period that was just because we changed our routine...our go to comfort wasn't acceptable anymore.  Our go to comfort was trying to kill us.  Education is so important in this as is staying close to the site...read blogs, comment, get to know how others are managing this journey.  Remember it IS a journey and you CAN do this.  It is one step, one day at a time and you can't rush it or expect to take shortcuts.  Just keep going and accept that smoking never did anything FOR you but it could have silently done all kinds of things TO you.  

Welcome,

Ellen

0 Kudos