cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mmurry414

I'm starting over

I didn't smoke for three days on the fourth day I broke down and smoke two. I feel a little defeated I guess I should just start over.

20 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Don't look back; you aren't going that way.  Do spend a minute thinking about what caused you to make that decision to smoke and make a plan for what you will do differently THIS time.  Did you do the recommended readings, figure out your triggers, practice delaying each smoke, have a list of distractions to use when a crave hits?  If not, maybe spend a few days preparing and planning, but then get right back at it!

You CAN do this.  Maybe call the last quit your practice run?!!!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes, start over by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine.  Here is a good place to start.www.whyquit.com, read Journey Home to Freedom from Nicotine and Nicotine 101  Also go to quit plan and read, study and do the activities if you haven't.  Started over is not the worse thing.  The worse thing is never starting over.  Prepare a tool kit. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/30828-quit-kit-aka-tool-box?sr=search&searchId=281fcc1a-9... 

Barbscloud

You guess?  LOL   Have felt more than a little defeated numerous times - trying to quit smoking, etc.  Don't give up; this isn't easy.  I'm a new Exer myself-39 days on this journey.   The site has made all the difference for me.  Reach out for help when you need it; before you smoke!  These folks have saved my butt several times.  There's wonderful information, people, and support available to you.  If you're not doing so already, take the daily pledge each day pledging not to smoke.  It really helps me to stay the course each day.  

Welcome to the community of ex-smokers. 

Absolutely start over! You made it 3 days. You can do it! It took me a few try’s to get where I am today; 2.5 years. Don’t beat yourself up. 

MichelleDiane

Had a smilier experience with the quit before this one.  I was very upset by the  relapse and tried to get back up right away, but that didn't happen.  I would go two or three days and then relapse again.  I have continued with my journey to be smoke free and am now working on day 6.  It's not easy to get over a relapse, but it would not be easier dealing with breathing issues that are irreversible or incurable cancer.  I took what worked last time and coupled it with the new things I am learning now.  I will forever be a student, but learning is a wonderful thing.  Keep going.  The support and encouragement are unparalleled by any other group.

Regards,

Michelle

yup, get right back on that quitting train and take a look at the portion about tracking your cigarettes when you filled that part out and see where you can do something differently this time around.

Bdwallhau

mmurry414‌, here's the good news: when a quit doesn't stick, the chance that the next one will is MUCH greater!  Go ahead and pick a new date, then come back here a lot and let us cheer for you as you prepare for it. You've got this, and we'd love to help you, root for you, and celebrate each smoke-free day with you!  -- Dawn 

MarilynH

We're all here to help you mmurry414 in any way we can, read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom then pick a quit date and when your Day ONE comes you'll get to the evening and you can look yourself in the mirror and smile and say yay for Day WON with many more to come you can do this upcoming quit believe it and know that we're here. 

bonniebee

Many  people have success on there first try but many more take longer I thought That was very helpful to know . I was successful on my 5 th or 6th try .....my mistake ? Waiting years between attempts please don't do that to yourself ! This final time  I had Ex and what a difference it made for me ! I thank God for this site daily ! 

Blog HELP next time you are having a crave you think you cannot handle !

Welcome-Beach-Side-View-1.jpg

Praying for you ,

love Bonnie