cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sschwer10

Has anyone experienced a decrease in back pain from quitting?

I have chronic back pain and quit for a total of two months at the beginning of the year. My back pain went away but I was also seeing a chiropractor regularly. I started smoking again maybe 2 or 3 months ago and the pain is back. Wasn’t sure if it was the smoking or the chiro. I plan to quit again at the end of April. 

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I did not - but I wonder if the increase in oxygen to the area from quitting might benefit it?

Perhaps others will chime in.

Nancy

Sschwer10

That’s what I’m thinking. I even had greater sensations in my back when I wasn’t smoking. Not pain but I could feel that it was there. (If that makes sense)

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Lack of oxygen can cause a bit of numbness feeling, too.  Your body IS trying to tell you something!

Have you set a new quit date?

Nancy

Sschwer10

I have set a new quit date, for the 4th of May. I may possibly start sooner because of the pain. No form of pain medication helps. Every doctor/chiro I’ve seen has no clue what’s wrong. My adjustments are for my hips. Which I was having done twice a week for a couple months in the beginning. I quit smoking and the pain stopped but I didn’t see the possible link until I started hurting again. I think you’re right, my body is trying to tell me something.

My back is so much better since I quit.  your circulation increases when you quit due to increased oxygen in the blood stream.  I have some degenerated discs in my back and always woke up with back pain.  I still have discomfort but nothing compared to what I had when I smoked

elvan

Sschwer10  I have degenerative disc disease that is very advanced and I ruptured three discs a few years back...I ALWAYS have pain in my back.  I wear an over the counter brace to keep heat against it because it makes me feel like my back is more stabilized.  I have scoliosis from this degenerative disc disease and I have osteoporosis from over 26 years of taking steroids for arthritis...my doctor says that my spine is like a pile of Pringle's potato chips so she does not recommend that I see a chiropractor.  I WISH that my pain would let up, I haven't smoked in over four years BUT I know that smoking certainly never helped with the pain and left me with a whole lot of other issues.  My hands are quite arthritic and after I quit, I definitely felt an increase in my circulation because my hands were not always cold anymore...the joint pain increased for a while as my body adjusted to having blood circulating the way it is supposed to.  Welcome to EX, I do agree with YoungAtHeart‌ that your body is trying to tell you something.  No matter what you feel in terms of pain, smoking is destroying so many things in your body silently and methodically.

Ellen

Opidfght

Well my back pain didn't go away before or after quitting smoking. Have a MRI on your back it will tell you exactly what's wrong. You may not like the results but better going than spending money on Dr bills and getting no results.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

No improvement yet for back pain, although it hasn't been that long.  Wish there was!

0 Kudos

I've lived with chronic pain since age 20 and almost 64 now. I've had 4 ruptured discs,1 neck and 3 lumbar.

Full blown Fibromyalgia and arthritis since age 20. Today is day 86 for me! YES,I HAVE ALOT LESS PAIN!!!!

IN MY BACK,AS WELL AS MY WHOLE BODY!!!!! I've reduced all my medications down to 1x per day and No

need for narcotics at all...........I still have pain, but I can manage! A lot of practice, when that road started in 1974.

Now, if we could just find the right BP med combo for me.......Level those numbers out to make the health

care people happy........