cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

AnnetteMM

Accepting Praise

We know we're "supposed to" accept praise graciously, say thanks, let others show us high regard without us deflecting it.  We know this.  But it's still hard to do.  I think our natural tendency is to return praise right away so we don't look greedy for it.  So we say thanks, but then we turn it around and mention something great about the person praising us.  Sharing the wealth, so to speak.  "Yeah, you're doing great, too!  Yay for all of us right now!"

I say ENOUGH OF THIS.  We're doing a hard thing.  We totally deserve our moments in the spotlight, which is why I love the Freedom Train.  We get to bask in the glory of achievement!  I say that when we're praised for doing this hard thing of quitting an addiction we should put our shoulders back, stand up straight, and "Yes, thank you, I'm working very hard and I'm happy to have that acknowledged!"   Period, the end.

What do you think?

10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

AMEN!

desiree465

Hmm I never thought about that, but yeah you're right we all do that!

elvan

AnnetteMM‌ I wonder if you realize how much more powerful you have become since you started here...that's a very, very GOOD thing and I know that you worked at it.

Ellen

AnnetteMM

Wow, now THAT'S some serious praise right there!  And I'll take it gratefully.  Thank you.

JACKIE1-25-15

I think you got it right.  Second To the AMEN!

JACKIE1-25-15

BTW LOVE it!

MichelleDiane

Annette you are one amazing person.  Congratulations on all of the hard work you have done.

Regards & Hugs always,

Michelle

AnnetteMM

Thanks, girlfriend!

MarilynH

YAY for you and your stupendous quit journey YAY for each of us and YAY for Smokefree living and for each and every Day WON ,life really does get better and better without the crutch of cigarettes.....