cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

emilyt123078

the triggers

So, you're doing okay with your quit. You're on here, blogging, talking, venting and going through the motions of your day. You're not feeling particularly fabulous with the quit, but everything seems to be okay. Suddenly, out of nowhere and for no particular reason, you get triggered.  How many of you go through a list in your head about what triggered the addict brain and what do you do to get through the moment or the day.

I admit, freely, I have days when I'm doing great and other days when I'm thinking about it. 

I tend to think that maybe stress has something to do with it. I also think I have moments of feeling bad about myself and that can trigger it. I end up taking a break or walking it off.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Quitting smoking IS like a roller coaster ride, with ups and downs and twists and turns.  We used to handle it ALL with a smoke.  When we are happy, or content, the need for a "fix" is just not as powerful.    When we are down, or stressed, or bored, or uneasy, the baseline mood kind of calls for a quick fix.  It's then that our quit is at its most vulnerable.

Taking a walk or a break is the EXACT right thing to do!  I am so happy that you understand that and are applying it.  They should take you far.  Always remember, too, that slow/deep breaths are always available to get you through a tough moment.

Keep at it.  You are doing GREAT!

Nancy

Jennifer-Quit

Literally everything was a trigger for me in the beginning, Waking up, after a meal, talking on the phone, driving, stress, break time, etc.  Find new things to do - my toughest one to overcome was break time - I needed to get away from my desk but had nothing to do - so I started taking a small walk or had a healthy snack.  This up and down cycle will level out - just give it time!  Good job!

elvan

I felt like the triggers were never going to stop at the beginning but I had made a list of things to do instead of smoking when they hit AND I was and I still AM completely certain that smoking never did anything FOR me but it sure did a lot TO me.  I have the constant reminder because of the shortness of breath, the oxygen at night, the overwhelming fatigue.  NOTHING is worth this...smoking distracts us from reality and stuffs our feelings down, no matter what those feelings might be.  I have found since I quit smoking that it is okay to be angry sometimes, it is okay to feel sad sometimes, it is okay to be in pain and really not be able to do anything about it...smoking sure didn't HELP with the pain...it distracted me very temporarily but the pain was still there, along with the stress, the anger, the sadness, the worrying...quitting smoking is a journey and every walk that you take is wonderful...I can't do that anymore, I can't go for walks.  I do use a stationary bike five days a week and I try to do everything I can to slow the COPD down but I would not wish it on anyone.  You are doing GREAT.  Get some bubble juice and blow bubbles...it's going to get easier, stay close to the site like you have been, that's your best bet!

Ellen

emilyt123078

Thanks everyone.  I'm pretty certain that my brain is telling me that I'm a bit stressed and that was way I could cope AND that it's a reward for a difficult day.  I'm not buying it. Okay, yes, I'll try the breathing, walking, whatever it takes. I just wish this would go away! It's not that difficult but it is that annoying. 

♥ Thanks for the reminder to keep working through it.

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes, triggers happen.  Mainly what we associated a cigarette with our daily lives.  It can be countered by being prepared knowing what your triggers are and how you will handle them in advance.  It is called having a plan.   Remind yourself that you are in control and you will not allow dried up leaves dipped in toxic chemicals to no longer have power.  Breathing and staying calm help.   

Mandolinrain

Breath, deep breath. It happened to us all and is associated with our behavior, mostly. Also it was a huge routine and now we don't do that anymore. The timing is never when we want it to be, so just grab the tool belt and pull out anything you have to get through it. Most craves last 2-3 minutes although I recall having some back to back. Other days none at all. It WILL pass, I promise. Don't give in. 

I am so glad you came here. Talking about it here will help get you through it. Each days craves may follow a different pattern but no matter...you have us to push you through and YOU are doing great!