cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jtheo

Can I add a low dose anti-anxiety (Ativan) to my Chantix regime?

I have quit multiple times in the past only to hit a wall when it comes to anxiety.  I'm terrified of using Chantix again as I had very high anxiety when I tried it years ago and some reviews are down right scary.  Should I ask my doctor for a low dose anti-anxiety med to help me through the first couple months to be taken as needed when anxiety builds to the point I can't take it?  Should I use both Chantix and a low dose anti-anxiety med?  I refer to Ativan as I have taken in the past and am familiar with its effect.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
anaussiemom

Please talk to Your Physician!!  Ativan  is an addictive controlled substance.  Perhaps switch from chantix to a generic welbutrin. .. according, to some really good studies,  for smoking.  Welbutrin helps with the natural feel good receptors, kick in. 

Anxiety issues,  Please talk to your Doc!!  Another addiction wouldn't be a good outcome.  IDK MHO.

Hugs

Lisaml

You should talk to whomever prescribed you the chantix in the past and ask about Ativan. I think you'll find that most doctors would be supportive of your quit.  

Also, it's important to understand that  chantix and Wellbutrin are not interchangeable- they both are prescribed to aid in quitting, but by completely different mechanisms of action. It's not like you can change from one to the other. whatever you do, talk your prescriber about adding Ativan to the Chantix to see if it would be more tolerable. I wish you well, @jtheo. 

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome back. Yes you should contact your doctor with questions on taking multiple drugs. 

YoungAtHeart

Ditto on the above.  The two drugs may interact, too.

Nancy

Definitely contact your doctor. Ask if there is something else besides Chantix. I know Wellbutrin is used to aid with quitting smoking.

anaussiemom

Welbutrin was prescribed for Depression.   Bupropion (Oral Route) Description and Brand Names - Mayo Clinic 

They  discovered in Studies"  It can aid,  in nicotine addiction to help stop smoking"  and also help the feel good receptors, in our brains, while we remain non-smokers.....

Always talk to your Physician.

Hugs.

0 Kudos
KMC56

I discussed with my Dr., and was permitted to take my small dose of Xanax, which I took sparsely.

~Kathy 718 DOF

Lisaml

718 days!? WAY to go!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
elvan

jtheo  I would ask your pharmacist for recommendations as well...wellbutrin can be a great help and having some anti-anxiety medication around could certainly be helpful for you.  Welcome to EX, if you were here before, I did not know you.  Make your plan and know that it will help greatly with the anxiety to have a PLAN. You might want to start here: My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  Read everything you can about nicotine addiction and know that quitting is not an event, it is a journey...one day at a time.  We all want you to succeed and we will all do whatever we can to help.  PLEASE remember that no drug is going to take away all of the discomfort associated with quitting, nothing makes it easy but education, commitment, and support make it POSSIBLE!

Again, welcome,

Ellen