cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

THEY SAY, THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS?

I'm asking, how many people that quit:  Out of the blue, came down with different medical issues

due to the stress their immune system is under right now ????? Busy trying to Heal Itself?????

I haven't felt to good lately. Massive fatigue. Some nights sleep well and others,not really. Body running

hot and cold.... Out of the blue, I got a boil. Haven't had one since a kid. Then another and another.

1st. 3 are in the same general area. Number 4 appear on Friday in my armpit. 2 have healed. 2 haven't

yet. Looking online, I find all 4 are in areas of the body where the Lympathic system is heavily located. 

This past week,several mornings, eyes were badly mattered, indicating allergies acting up.

Then several times my ears were plugged up. A tickle in my throat, but not truly sore throat. 

My body bouncing between Hot and Cold. Runny nose, but clear drainage.This morning sinus

pressure around sinuses. Then came sinus headache.  I ache all over. Above and beyond my

daily chronic pain.  I would say,I picked up a virus in capitol city last week. Had the dental and

shopping errands.

I've pulled my supplements out and started on them. Lysine and Enchincea. Took Aleve for the pain

and Zertec for the other symptoms. I am very medication sensitive and limited to what I can take.

I've made a gallon of chicken veggie,rice,noodle soup.  Will eat that until I perk up......

I've had a compromised immune system for decades. I've managed that issue pretty well for the

last 20 yrs.

Frosting on the wicked cupcake today is: it was snowing when I drug myself out of bed this marning.

Plenty wind making visiblity poor and on verge of being a blizzard. 2-4" are forcast.......Started reading

the book: Freedom from Nicotine-The Journey Home .... just to stay busy......

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

The only symptom that you described that I experienced is fatigue.  I tried to compensate by taking naps when I could and by getting a little extra sleep each night.  Perhaps a visit to your doctor night be the thing to do.  Be honest and tell him all of your symptoms - probably most are not quit-smoking related.  Wishing you a beautiful spring!

JACKIE1-25-15

I had insomnia.  If I was still working I would not have made it. It was by any means necessary, what ever it took.  I was going to be free.  It ain't easy but doable.  

Lisaml

Since you already know you have immune issues, I would also encourage you to be seen by your doctor.

I can't say that I can relate any of those symptoms (except fatigue and sleep disturbance) to be quit related.

wish you the best!!!! Xoxo 

emilyt123078

I think that when you quit smoking, your body reacts in different ways, some good, some not good. I was extremely tired and slept longer than normal, which was a good thing, but I was dragging during the day. I had two weeks of migraine headaches and I felt what I called, "the weirds." It's all good. Make sure you drink a lot of fluids, especially water and keep fueled by eating good meals, maybe more little ones throughout the day as the stress of non smoking can wipe you out. It doesn't last long. I'm on a pretty good schedule now.  My allergies are back and I haven't had an attack in years, so I chalk it up to the non-smoking situation. LOL Or, whatever you call it. I'm not even sure.

Bdwallhau

The fatigue is real, but it passes. Insomnia was brutal, but Benadryl helped. The symptom that surprised me was acne! All the sudden, at the ripe age of 45, I started to break out. I hadn't had a breakout of any kind in decades. Coincidence? Could be, but doubtful.

Well, thanks for your opinions....Boils...3 are healed now 1 is left to heal ..Not any worse.......

My 2 NP's and Myself know my body better than anyone! Still saddens me, my  Dr. of Acupuncture

left medicine because; he was so frustrated with insurances not accepting alternative medicine.

I have to say: He cured me of Migraines from an Auto accident, reset my Thyroid function (as not a great

candidate for the meds), stopped the Adrenal Collasp in my body and Helped me Rebuild my Immune System.

Westernized Medicine takes Forever to accept a different treatment as USEFUL!  I went for 5 years and paid the 

cost out of my pocket. I have to say, it was some of the BEST medical care I ever recieved. 

0 Kudos

I had boils in my teens. bad news. they were from staph.

I went to my dr twice a week for two years for injections to build up my resistance to staph and to my allergies.

I had horrible drainage at night that made it difficult to sleep or for anyone else to sleep. 

I never had anymore problems with allergies or staff after those two years.

Many people don't have allergies until midlife.

Wishing you a quick healing.

Keep fingers crossed, but think we have them all healed up............ off to appt. in morning for bloodwork they do on me a couple times a yr., for all my issues.......... hopefully all is good. or at least answers to what is making my BP here, there and everywhere........

I think the medicine isn't working...... They had a hard time finding 2 I could tolerate the side effects. Being so sensitive to meds makes treating issues real hard. I hate pills, anyway! Would much rather address in the natural way first..........

0 Kudos
Roller831

So about a month after I quit I landed in the hospital with a severe ear infection and throat infection.  I don't know if it was related to a surgery I had the week prior (meaning resulting infection I got from being in a hospital for surgery) or from my body getting used to quitting smoking, but in the end, it didn't matter since I was free!!!

I realized during that hospital stay I didn't argue with the doctor since I wasn't afraid of being in the hospital where I couldn't smoke since I didn't smoke anymore!

I hope no matter what, you see that there are more benefits to quitting than not even if you have to hurdle through some medical obstacles.  After that severe infection, I've been just fine and feel better than ever!