cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Got You! Caught You!

The third day of my quit I was in my friends patio and his brother (the one I was to influence to quit by quitting myself ) walked into the space smoking.

He knew I had quit two days before and he didn't do it to unnerve or upset me. The workshop adjoined the patio and that's where he took his smoke breaks.

I didn't run away.

It made me think. It made me realize not smoking was my choice and I laughed at the simplicity of that.

From that point on, every time I thought of smoking, I laughed. I laughed because I caught the thought before it could take hold.

In a weeks time I began automatically thinking of laughing. I had turned the urge or thoughts of smoking into a game, not a struggle.

Got You! Caught You!

9 Replies
AnnetteMM

I Love the thought of catching the thought!  I'm gonna steal that one.

GyorgyiM

In those types of situations I immediately think "Oh....I don't smoke".. or  "I am a non smoker" ....and I have conditioned my brain to "ACCEPT" that thought so that I can just move on and not obsess or crave...

It seems to have worked for me from day one.....I have literally REMOVED myself from ever smoking...that was the PAST and I am in the PRESENT....

Smiles...

ingenuenlove

Moving from the label of "Smoker" to "Former Smoker/Non-smoker" was very important to me. I made sure that when I visited my physician that that was one of the first things that was edited in my chart. I also had the chance to have my dentist update my record.

I kinda feel like I am bragging now-

Be well

YoungAtHeart

You have the right to brag - you've quit smoking.  Having done that might also help to keep you accountable.  Can you IMAGINE going back and telling them you need to change it?  CRAP!

🙂

ingenuenlove

Heck no- no imagining that...

I would be more afraid of my daughter than my doctor...to be honest...but there will be no IF or WHEN....

CUZ this chickkkky is D.O.N.E.

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE .........................BRAG!!!!

ingenuenlove

I think my facebook friends might be tired of seeing my Quit date posts...but whatevs...I am bragging:)

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

Your facebook friends wouldn't be your friends IF they are tired of seeing your Quit dates, eh?

ingenuenlove

Very true...I don't care anyhow...I post it for me..that way in 2 years facebook will send me a memory reminder...LOL!