cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brittharsh

I am sick of being sick.....

Good Morning Everyone, 

I quit 10 days ago and I am so proud of the way I have been controlling my cravings. I used a patch for the first week and then with Easter I decided that it wasn't worth buying them as well. The only thing is now I am ill. I have a horrible sore throat, I can't stop coughing, my nose keeps running, I break out in sweats and I can barely sleep. I know that these are usually withdraw symptoms but I haven't seen many people discussing them. There are many people that I have spoken with that say they just get moody and a headache; whereas I feel like I was hit by a MAC Truck. I am hoping I am not alone. I can handle the cravings I try to tell myself that it is mental and I can overcome anything mental, but this is physical and I am not sure how long I can keep this up. I was hoping someone could shed some light on how long this will last and what I can do to try to ease the symptoms, I have been trying to eat healthy and exercise but I can barely even motivate myself to get out of bed. 

Thank you everyone for listening to my rant, 

Hope you have a great day!

Brittany

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
AnnetteMM

The first seven days on the patch means you've been nicotine free for three days, so your withdrawal is still physical.  This will pass!  Keep coming here and we'll help you ride it out.  Good for you for ten days without smoking!

brittharsh

Thank you very much. I have quit before weaned myself off the nicotine without any physical symptoms this is the first time just saying I don't need it. Hopefully these symptoms don't last much longer 😞 

0 Kudos
desiree465

I never had those type of symptoms but I have read posts from others that described similar symptoms. I think the longest someone went through this (that I saw) was up to two weeks after going cold turkey. I think going that long with those symptoms is extreme though and not the norm. 

0 Kudos
brittharsh

Thank you very much. Yeah it is very rough going through this but on positive note, I will never pick up another cigarette, I would have to go through this whole ordeal again. Definitely not worth it!!!!

YoungAtHeart

Doesn't sound to me like ALL of this can be attributed to quitting smoking!  Might you have a touch of the flu?  No matter which it is, you need to get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids, and see your doctor if you start to feel any worse.

Hoping you feel better SOON.

(and it goes without saying - don't smoke!)

Nancy

elvan

I was really sick when I quit, I had pneumonia and it exacerbated my COPD so I DID have those symptoms but I really don't think that they had anything to do with my quit.  If you don't feel better in a couple of days, I would suggest seeing a doctor.  You are the polar opposite of ME...I can handle anything physical that is thrown at me but mental (emotional), not so much.  If you want to rule out that it is the nicotine, you could always try using a patch and see what happens.

Congratulations on your quit, you will never regret quitting.  Welcome to EX.

Ellen

JACKIE1-25-15

Sounds like you are really sick and it may have nothing to do with withdrawal, I would check with doctor if not better in day or two.

MichelleDiane

I've read the previous posts by Elders in the community and I tend to think that there may be something else going on.  The flu is still going around and there is always the common cold.  To give yourself some peace of mind maybe a trip to the doctor would be a good idea.

freeneasy

I agree all the above. Doesn’t sound like this is caused by quitting.