cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Each of US is Special!

And so are our needs, our circumstances and our COPD. Doctors tend to treat COPD the same. You go through the same algorithms whether you have a cough, shortness of breath, wheezing, overweight, underweight, edema,....it's the same thing over and over.

But my COPD is not your COPD, We may have some things in common like lung capacity for example but the disease is still unique to each of us. 

Try to get to know your own personal brand of COPD as best as you can and advocate for your treatment with all medical personnel. You are a Team but it's your body and that makes you the Captain of the Team!

Future of COPD Management: Precision Medicine 

Here recently I've had a lot of pushback from my medical team saying that my symptoms begin and end with anxiety. I do have anxiety - no question! So when I seek medical attention Doctors tend to give me more Ativan, or Celebrex or Buspar and send me on the way.

I make the judgment! Last week I went to the ER after having been given more anxiety meds by my general practitioner. Anxiety did not cause my coughing spasms! I had pneumonia! I was given lidocaine to drink (yuck!) fentanyl for the pain and zofran for the fentanyl. Then I was given the prednisone I should have gotten in the first place and antibiotic.

Had I been a good little patient my pneumonia no doubt would see me in the hospital by now. Buspar doesn't help pneumonia!

Educate, Advocate, stay in control! 

It's your body, your LIFE, your consequences!

[I don't give I darn what the Doctors think of me! I know ME!]

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Replies
Christine13

Oh my gosh Thomas, so good to see you here!  I pray you are doing better today.

Thank you for always explaining about COPD, and the treatment available.

It really helped Brian.

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I have to agree with you. With COPD and sleep apnea, the doctors make the diagnosis, hand us what we need and sends us on our way! I will say I've recently found what I think is a very good GP. The thing about him is he doesn't rush a person through so fast that he doesn't have time to listen to you. I hope he can keep this approach as our clinic up here is a for profit clinic and I think at times they push the doctors to see more patients then they have time for. But this guy just won't do it. He seems to understand that patient input is crucial to a proper diagnosis.

But before him it was, "OK. You have COPD. Here's this and this and this and this and this, etc. Hang in there and call if you don't improve." Yeah, THAT kind of medicine 

Thankfully my COPD is still staying on the minor side. Quitting smoking when I did was a life saver, literally! I'm just glad I decided to try this doctor. He even went and studied sleep apnea after he realized he had patients with it, so he would know a little more than the average doctor. 

I hope you're doing better and try to have a nice Easter!

Chuck