cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Barbscloud

To All of Us Struggling With Life

Don't know where to start or who to respond to first.    I'm reading so many discussions this morning of everyone's struggles with life and attempting not to smoke as a result of what life is throwing at us.  I can associate with much of what everyone is saying.  But the underlying message is that we can live on life's terms with out feeding out addiction, no matter what that addiction may be.  I'm only 16 days smoke free and have attempted numerous times to quit.  It is a daily struggle not to smoke when we're trying deal with ongoing issues in our lives and when those unexpected stressers hit you in the face when you least expect it.  And then there are those cigarettes I also used to reward my self.  Not sure which I miss the most. 

Wishing all of us success on this journey.    

10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Did you read Allen Carr?  If not - get to it.  When you do, you will understand that all you thought smoking did for you was a lie.  It gave you a temporary hit of dopamine ---- which quickly became a never ending demand for MORE.  It did not help with stress - it added to it.  You can get dopamine in healthy ways - exercising, sex, a bit of chocolate, singing out loud, playing a musical instrument. 

What you seem to be having struggles with are the trigger and associations.  Make NEW ones.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand, find yourself a NEW reward when you finish a task.  You need to change things up to reduce the associations.   If you always relaxed after a chore in a certain place  - do it someplace else.  If you smoked on your deck, rearrange the furniture, add a pretty pillow on the chair, put some plants around when it's warm enough.

Smoking does nothing for you, and so much TO you.  Stop romanticizing it.  It is NOT your friend!

Nancy

KTQeeyore

Life will continue to throw you curve balls whether you smoke or not.

If you smoke you will stress out about quitting again. NOPE!  

You're doing great Barb! Hang on to that rope!   

bonniebee

It is definitely a life full of ups and downs I am getting a lot of the downside right now but so glad not to be smoking through it all . 

Stick with Ex for all the support you can ask for ! Other people in your life  may try to be supportive but after a few weeks they expect you are "over it " . On Ex we know  how difficult it is and even after my 3 years as an Ex I still have days that are difficult and I come to my Ex Family for advice and support . We know addicts can be just one puff away from a fall as life smacks us in the face .

Congrats on your 16 days !!!!! Keep on keeping on (KOKO)

love Bonnie 

Barbscloud

Think my message was misinterpreted..  I was reaching out to so many new ex's recently having difficulties in their lives.  I was saying that it's difficult for all of us, but we can do it.

"But the underlying message is that we can live life on life's terms with out feeding out addiction, no matter what that addiction may be. "

YoungAtHeart

I apologize - I thought you were struggling and wanted to help.  No harm, I hope?

Nancy

anaussiemom

There will always be struggles in life.  The world is constantly  evolving, as all of us are as well.
No matter what, if your an addict or not an addict of any kind, the world evolves.

-

Giulia

Yes, a lot of our friends here are going through a rough time in their lives.  AND a lot are maintaining their quits at the same time. More strength to them!  I think they deserve special gold stars for it.  Vigilance deserves a badge all on it's own.  You just keep hanging in Barb.  No one was ever sorry they stuck with it.  Everyone is sorry they didn't.

JACKIE1-25-15

WORDS MATTER

TURN YOUR "STRUGGLES" INTO "CHALLENGES"

STRUGGLES YOU PUSH & PULL& TUG

CHALLENGES YOU WORK TO MEET.

MichelleDiane

A flower that blossoms with adversity is the most beautiful flower of all.  (Can't take credit for that saying, but I find it very powerful).