cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JenniferK79

Is everyone mean when they stop smoking and for how long?

I'm so mean I'm a different person I quit years ago for a few months I was so mean 

16 Replies

Welcome!!!

One of the main things I remember the first time I quit cold turkey was that I started again after a day because I couldn't even stand to be around myself. After that relapse I smoked for many years. I tried again with the patches and did alright (I could at least stand to be around myself) but I got addicted to the patches for six months before I finally weaned myself off of them and then six months later, I relapsed after my partner died. I used that as an excuse to start smoking again and smoked for many years until this last time, when I first learned my addiction and then quit.

It's been over seven years now since I quit. My point being that learning and preparation can be key to a quit. You need to learn your addiction, how it interacts with you, what your triggers and urges are and use that knowledge to propel you to freedom!

You're going to get some links soon. I strongly recommend that you begin studying and reading all you can!! You came to the right place for support. We have that covered. Now all you have to do is learn and stay on the path of freedom and never look back!! It's an incredible feeling to be free once we've live our lives as slaves.

I never answered your question! I have to say that the withdrawals and the effects of them are different for everyone but the bottom line is after a little time, you'll be fine and yes, you'll just feel better and yes, you'll once again be nice  

I look forward to hearing of your success!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

JenniferK79

Hello Chuck thank you for that and in response what if everything is your trigger I have been smoking for 25 yrs I did stop but my longest was only 3 months now I smoke to smoke everything is my excuse I hate it but I love it in getting dad as my quit day is right around the corner like I'm losing my best friend but I have to stop I have copd I'm only 39 I can't breath I need to stop or I will die 

JenniferK79‌ We were all like that before we quit. The thing to remember is that your experience with smoking is very similar to most. I smoked for at least forty years before I quit. I was as addicted as one could be, but by learning and a belief in myself I managed to discover that the cigarette it not my friend! 

We have to understand our addictions to beat them. Believe it or not, most people actually DON'T want to quit when they decide to do it. I was terrified of quitting and when I first thought of the concept of quitting. But the thing is, you've seen a crack in your addiction. A part of you that wants to figure out a way out of the mess that you created for yourself. That's where it all starts. From there, you begin a journey that is both magical and hard. 

It's hard because when we first think of quitting, we're kind of in conflict. Half of our minds want to quit and yet the other half can't see a good reason to do it. That's where the learning comes in. Believe me, I was as addicted as a person could get and I was a literal chain smoker when I quit, coughing for several hours each morning as I smoked. 

But you've seen the crack in your addiction. Now all you have to do is open that crack and peer inside. There's an incredible future waiting for you! You have a darn good reason to quit. Learn all you can and then go for it!!

The world is a much brighter place when we're free!! And yes, over time we do become free and I don't know of a single person who has regretted the choice once the hard part is over. And by the way, I was diagnosed with COPD five years after I quit. I can't even imagine what my world would look like now had I not quit when I did. I think I saved my own life with that one decision that I made several years ago.

Now, let's get busy saving yours!!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck  

karenjones

Jennifer, you just gave me a big laugh. Same as you, I find everything a trigger. In fact I don't believe in triggers. Looking at the stars is a trigger for me, waking up is a trigger for me. Everything is a trigger. I am a 24 hour a day addict, not just a trigger addict. I Note that i felt like lighting up, and then move on. Just a thought that floats across my mind like a quickly moving cloud. I do not invite that thought in to sit down and have a cup of coffee and a conversation with me. I jst note it and move on, nothing there for me.  I'm on day 13 of my quit. I cherish my quit and will protect it at all costs. It symbolizes my life to me.

karenjones

yes, you will die if you do not stop. that is a great thing to realize. lots of smokers think, sure cigarettes kill, but only other people. this demon has knocked on your door and moved in to your house. at least you know that and that is the beginning of showing him the door.  Start treating the nicodemon with all the rudeness you can muster. Be mean to that demon. do not tolerate the demon.  it wants to kill you. don't let it do that.  and the way to stop it.  Quit smoking.  That you can do.  Yes you can.

Jennifer-Quit

Heck - I am coming up on 4 years quit and I am still mean - lol  Your mood swings will even out - not sure how long it will take - everyone is a little different.

MarilynH

Welcome to the community please read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom, you can do this, deep breaths and know that the withdrawals plus moodswings only last for a short while but continuing to smoke will cause so many health problems and your copd will certainly get worse stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can. 

I certainly felt irritable but the way we act is a decision. One of the major lessons of Addiction Recovery is that we don't have to act on how we think and feel. I may be highly compelled to smoke and still decide that I will not! Likewise, I may think grumpy thoughts and mean feelings but that doesn't compel me to act that way! It's part of growing up through recapturing Self. I didn't stuff my grumpiness - I expressed it in ways that I chose to - art, music, books, and writing (but only to and for myself.) Soon I found myself on solid ground. Remember that withdrawal symptoms aren't caused by quitting - they're caused by Addiction and you can make this the last time you ever have to go through it.