cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karenjones

Oh My God, Mono-Amine Oxidase Inhibitor

I just found out that smoking effects this enzyme look at the pictures if nothing else.

Smoking Decreases Key Enzyme Throughout Body

NIDA Notes

This is archived NIDA Notes content. For current NIDA Notes, please visit drugabuse.gov.

This is Archived content. To view the latest NIDA Notes go here.
April 01, 2004
Patrick Zickler

Nicotine addiction and tobacco use wreak enormous worldwide health consequences, including more than 400,000 deaths in the United States each year from tobacco-related diseases. Most of this health toll involves disease related to the effects of inhaled smoke on the lungs and respiratory system and on the heart and circulatory system. However, recent NIDA-supported research has demonstrated that a compound found in cigarette smoke reduces levels of an important enzyme throughout the --in the spleen, kidneys, and brain as well as the lungs. The enzyme, monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B), plays a critical role in breaking down neurotransmitters and helping to regulate blood pressure. Too much or too little of the enzyme can affect mental or physical health.

Smoking Decreases Enzyme in Peripheral Organs of SmokersSmoking Decreases Enzyme in Peripheral Organs of Smokers. PET scans compare the distribution of the enzyme MAO-B in a nonsmoker and smoker. Circled areas indicate the highest MAO-B concentrations, areas captured in squares show intermediate levels, and areas with the lowest concentrations are unmarked. The smoker has lower MAO-B concentrations in peripheral organs than the nonsmoker.

Dr. Joanna Fowler and colleagues at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, New York, and the State University of New York at Stony Brook used positron emission tomography (PET) imaging to show reduced levels of MAO-B in the kidneys, heart, lungs, and spleen of smokers. "When we think about smoking and smoking toxicity, we usually think of the lungs," Dr. Fowler observes. "But here we see a very marked effect of smoking on one of the major enzymes in the , and we see that this effect extends far beyond the lungs."

In earlier research, the Brookhaven scientists--whose research also is supported in part by the Department of Energy and the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering--had found decreased levels of MAO-B in the brains of smokers. "Because smoking exposes the entire to the tobacco compounds that inhibit MAO-B, we believed it had the potential to limit MAO-B activity elsewhere in the ," Dr. Fowler says.

The study involved 10 men and 2 women (average age 41 years) who had been smoking for an average of 21 years. Each participant underwent PET scanning of his or her torso after receiving injections of radioactive MAO-B tracers. When the researchers compared these scans with scans previously performed on nonsmokers, they found that MAO-B distribution in the heart, lungs, kidneys, and spleen of smokers was 33 to 46 percent lower than levels seen in nonsmokers.

The reduction in MAO-B levels is not due to nicotine, but to an unidentified component of tobacco smoke--one of roughly 4,000 chemicals to which smokers are exposed with each puff. "With the whole exposed to the thousands of compounds in tobacco smoke, we need to be aware that these may contribute to the physiological effects of smoking," Dr. Fowler adds.

"Nicotine establishes the addiction, and continuous smoking maintains levels of all these compounds throughout the ," Dr. Fowler says. "The health consequences of reduced MAO-B levels in the organs are unclear. There may be adverse effects that are indirect and associated with the dietary substances or environmental compounds normally broken down by the enzyme. At the very least, however, it is clear that enzyme levels in smokers' peripheral organs are significantly affected by their tobacco use."

Source

• Fowler, J.S., et al. Low monoamine oxidase B in peripheral organs of smokers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100(20):11600-11605, 2003.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GyorgyiM

I am "addicted" to EDUCATION......

Thank you for sharing...

Smiles......

karenjones

Me too and I am developing a theory that all smokers suffer from a mental illness of some kind and that cigarettes are an attempt to self medicate that goes horribly wrong. Same with alcohol. I think there is a case to be made. I am not a PhD or Dr. and yet this seems like the elephant in the room. If you google 'smoking and mental illness' you don't come up with my theory.  But look at the picture above, a picture is worth a thousand words.  It just shows too, that what we know about cigarette addictions is the tip of the iceberg. I initally got this hint from Dr. Pipe (what a name eh?)  You will love this Dr. Andrew Pipe: The Zombies of Smoking Cessation - YouTube  , this is a lecture to medical professionals.  let me know what you think.  What did we do before the internet???

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

I started to watch it at work but had a hard time listening to it, so I sent it to my personal email and will watch it later.

What I did manage to hear was VERY interesting so I look forward to the entire segment.

Thank you!!!!

Being Addicted to Education,if we are serious should HELP us hold our QUIT FOREVER...........prairie 46 dof

Tanuaj

Wow. This is interesting. I wonder if this could be the cause of Rheumatoid Arthritis. 

0 Kudos
karenjones

Well it is alot more complicated than nicotine just effecting the dopamine receptors in our brains, but alot of people don't want to know and alot of physicians are not there to teach medicine. So it is up to us to figure it out.  and it is pretty complex . In addition, in modern cigarettes there are over 4,000 chemicals and nicotine is the one most studied because itt is the easiest to study. I worked in a biology dept at a uni and one of my collegues said there are 28 theories as to how photosynthesis works and the one that is taught is the one that is the easiest to teach.  But isn't the picture above intersting. I've also found out that nicotine effects alot of muscles in the pheripheral nervous system as well.  the plot thickens.  I think to make a long story short, what modern science knows about nicotine is justt the tip of the iceberg. i am beginning to understand how it causes all kinds of cancers though, in terms of organic chemistry. It keeps my mind occupied, and that is what I think of when I think of my nicotine addiction, rather than 'boy, a cigarette would be really good now' because it wouldn't be good now.

0 Kudos