cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gma_Bernie

Changing Seasons

This will be my first spraying as a non-smoker. We had one nice day and it was Saturday. I completely fell apart and sobbed and sobbed. I missed smoking on my front porch when it was nice outside. It did not seem so hard to quit in the winter time, but now it's been three and a half months and the change of weather is bringing back all kinds of memories and I am falling into a deep depression. Help!

31 Replies
Gma_Bernie

Spring

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

I will be encountering the same feelings and thoughts  soon when I start to go Kayaking.....The water, the sun, the quiet.....all past triggers, but I am going to have to do some adjustments in those routines and in my mindset until I get use to a new sense of Spring/Summer and my leisurely events....It can be done. It wont be easy, but you MUST choose to do it DIFFERENTLY.! I had a horribly somber and gloomy weekend (for no good reason) woke up this morning thoroughly depressed (for no good reason) but I KNEW that it will pass.....I just hated the feeling in the meantime and I owned up to that....

You just hang in there....You are looking at the world through different eyes...........YOUR OWN...

Find another way to enjoy that beautiful day....if you have to use a substitute, gum, snack, beverage....something that actually brings you pleasure, not just something to stick in your mouth...

Let me know how that turns out....cuz I am watching YOU! 

LoL

Smiles.....

KTQeeyore

Ah yes, those pesky seasonal triggers. Stay vigilant bsheats and pledge to stick around here for at least a year.

That way you will have the support from your friends here throughout all seasons. It is truly amazing what each

season can bring as far as those smoking memories. Hang in there bsheats! We're here if you need us!

PS   Not sure if there is a place to pledge for 1 year at this site or not! Just make sure you stick around!

TW517

Funny how your point of view, or frame of reference changes everything.  I quit in the middle of Spring last year.  The number one, sure-fire crave buster for me was walking.  So I enjoyed many long and short walks outside for 6 months before it just got too cold outside.  I remember being so thankful in November that I was finally comfortable with my quit.  I couldn't imagine anyone quitting in winter time when they wouldn't be able to walk outside!

Sandi4

I agree.  Point of view is EVERYTHING!

JACKIE1-25-15

These are the times to stay close to the site.  You are not alone. It is okay to be concerned but know that you will get through it.  We all have had our anxiety or doubt about whether we will make it through the first time we experience different events, seasons or occasions since quitting smoking.   You will find that life is so much better.  With a strong commitment to not smoking no matter what you will be just fine. It may not be easy but doable with an NOPE attitude. Or it may be easier than what you thought.  You will find that life experiences without smoking are far more enjoyable than sucking on a stinking cigarette that can only offer you poor health and death.  When you come to a cross road weigh which is better.   When you make the right choice you will see how much easier it is each season. 

BREATHE, EMBRACE & ENJOY

your new freedom

So sorry your feeling down. 

i used to go out on my deck and smoke away as I watched the mountains. (we're nestled in a valley right up against the fourteeners in Colorado) I worried all the way up to my quit day about that trigger. But you know what? I discovered that I only thought I was looking at those mountains. In reality, I was indulging my nicotine habit and I discovered it takes a lot away from life when we smoke. We just miss so much!!

On the upside, this change of season is for spring!! A time when new life springs from the old! A time of cleansing and for me it always reminds me of a time when I changed. For me, spring is like you and your quit. A time when the caterpillar emerges as a beautiful butterfly, fluttering off happily in the breeze and happy for the change that was created, even though it took time.

Hope you feel better soon. Please stay in touch.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

YoungAtHeart

Work to make NEW memories to associate with spring.  Perhaps it's time to think about putting a tomato plant in a pot?  Or walking your neighborhood and looking for the new sproutings - the daffodils and hyacinths and crocuses?  Listen to the birdsong - it's quite different in the spring.  Just stand and feel the warmer sun on your face.

Take a deep, deep breath of that spring air.  Notice the fragrance of spring on it - perhaps damp earth?  Perhaps the sponginess after a shower? 

It's time to wake up your senses - they, too, were dormant when you smoked!

Hang in there!  This is SO worth it.  DECIDE that it is!

Nancy

indingrl

Thank you so much for sharing bsheats... in MY early recovery I too missed MY best friend NICOTINE... it comforted ME... helped ME when I needed a break or needed to relax or needed to use at people when I was angry with them or used when I drove... it was SUGGESTED to write a goodbye letter to MY BFF NICOTINE... I know it sounds silly but I took ALL the SIGGESTIONS given because those that gave ME the SUGGESTION were STAYING QUIT and I want to STAY QUIT TOO.... just sharing the love please keep coming BACK