cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jssm0811

Munching on everything

How do you deal with the oral fixation? I can’t seem to stop eating!

15 Replies
Lisaml

I feel like others may tell you to be healthy, eat crunchy, carrot, celery etc, but here's MY take. 

Do whatever you need to do to NOT smoke. If you gain a few pounds, that's okay. You are fighting a MAJOR battle right now. Eat the cookies. 

Sure, choose some healthy options but don't knock yourself out.  Do whatever it takes, within the confines of the law of your state or province, to NOT SMOKE. 

Thats my opinion:-):-) 

xox

Lisaml

Also- hard candies, suckers, gum and cinnamon-strong flavours tend to help me as well:-):-) 

Try and choose more healthy items than non-healthy. Eat breakfast everyday, has helped me later in the day.

Allow for dinner and supper, as well as snacks. Try and find what snacks and foods are comforting for you.  I'm drawn to crunchy items. Apples,carrots,celery,rye chips,sour dough pretzels pieces,licorce,candies assorted.....I eat alot of nuts which are healthy for us.... My high protein meals keep me satisfied longer.  Snacking,grazing and eating everything in sight....was better for me after 7-10 days. Now, it isn't any different than before I Quit.  My Biggest issue is NO Energy!

Any suggestions for that one?????????

Prairie 43 DOF

Jssm0811

I stopped smoking October 2017 using a nicotine patch.  Got major anxiety when I stopped smoking and ended up on meds to help that caused a stroke dec 2017.  The stroke took my energy.  I have been taking Alive energy vitamins and vitamin B on the recommendation of my neurologist.  It has helped a great deal!

YoungAtHeart

To answer your question - EXERCISE.  Get out and take a walk, or march in place, or turn up some music and dance!  Just MOVE!  It also may help you to eat 6 smaller meals a day to keep your blood sugar level.  Smaller portions of protein and a fruit or veggie helps in the early days, too.  But - if you aren't sleeping well, a nap may be in order.  Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be productive early in your quit.  You ARE quitting smoking -and that's a big accomplishment even if that is all you do.

0 Kudos
karenjones

Vitamins are very good, chewable vitamin C, vitamin B and D.  but I hear you about eating, chocolate ice cream, cookies, chips. Drink water. Drink water, Drink water. Lots of water.  Do some research on what smoking does to your body in terms of depleting it of vitamins and minerals. And congratulate yourself for becoming a non-smoker. This is the best thing you have ever done for yourself. Own it. Be happy.

YoungAtHeart

Keep some sugar free gum for every other snack.  Suck on things that take awhile, like Fireballs or sour candies.  Get some flavored toothpicks or make some of your own by soaking in things like OJ on which to chew.  Cut up straws and suck air through them...........

You are DOING this....and don;t worry about a few extra pounds.  They WILL come off after your quit is well in hand - and you will have more energy AND time to deal with them.

Hang in there!

Nancy

bonniebee

Here is what helped me with the oral fixation ...#1 The straws cut into thirds and used as my pacifier I kept them everywhere ....in the car ,in my pockets and all around the house ! I could not use mints or hard candies they gave me canker sores in my mouth . #2Deep breathing 3 breaths in very slowly through the nose and very slowly exhale through your mouth ....can be done anytime anywhere ! #3 I had some nicotine lozenges that I used for the extra hard times I would just pop one in my mouth for a few minutes ( I was on the patch too ) . Eventually I began to need these pacifiers less and less I still use the breathing when needed for stress I do not have craves anymore ! 

Congrats to you for quitting !!!! 

Nymous

Sour Patches worked for me  and in general anything that was sour worked for me.

I got some raw mangoes which was sour , cut it and kept it in the fridge and chewed on it.

Cold cranberry juice

Honey

I also drank LOTS of water during the first week.