cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jennifer-Quit

Cat Advise

I adopted a cat about 2-1/2 months ago.  We have both adjusted - but she is challenging to say the least....I do love her and try my best to spoil her - She is the "Princess of My Palace"!  

I always keep dry food and fresh water out for her.  She is served wet food (in small portions) twice a day.  She will only eat a certain brand of the wet food and will not eat all of larger portions if I serve them.  

I hear of folks giving their cat "treats".  I have bought 3 different kinds and was given a sample of another.  She will not touch any of them.  What kind of treats do cats like?

I realize this post has nothing to do with quitting except "me and my cat are both smoke-free!" 

Tags (1)
17 Replies
Sootie

Jennifer-Quit

Hahahaha! Glad you and your cat are both smoke free!

I must have had less finicky cats because mine ate any cat treats I had........you must have a "real Princess" there!

Animals are funny.....our beagle (and I find this true of all three beagles we have had as well as other hounds) will eat anything. I'm thinking of spraying chocolate on the dust to see if she will clean the house!! Our boxador---on the other hand----is finicky. He's huge----but when he is in "a mood" he won't eat anything. He likes only dog food with lamb and rice and is very fussy about what treats he will accept.

One thing I found all cats love (and it is supposed to be good for their digestion) is to have some cat nip grasses growing in a small container. They will nibble at it and it's very good for them. I used to have it growing near my kitchen herbs and the cats always loved it. We have had three cats and six dogs (plus lizards, gerbils and a rabbit) now through our 41 years of being a family. I firmly believe there is nothing better than sharing your life with an animal. Their loyalty and love can teach volumes and their companionship is priceless.

Jennifer-Quit

Well thanks Sootie - she is a real diva considering less than a year ago she was knocked up and living on the street.  lol - no judgement here!  She is just a finicky eater....and I am not....

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

And yes, I am going to try growing cat nip ...cannot hurt.   Oh and btw you have a mini zoo!  I think friends of the animals are the best!

0 Kudos
Sootie

Jennifer-Quit‌     Just want to specify we only have two dogs now. The rest were over our years as a family! But...at one really crazy time period we did have the THREE cats and two dogs. Needless to say my kids were "animal rescuers" and my husband and I were soft hearted.

0 Kudos
Kimshine

I grow cat nip for my girls too! They like it and it's good for them. I don't give my cats treats they never really took to them and I found myself wasting money and I wanted to give them snacks because well, we just do that for our kids. I feed them mostly dry food and I guess it's a treat for them when I let them share a can of the wet food on Saturday and Sunday mornings. 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Jennifer-Quit-05-01-14-blog?sr=search&searchId=fad26f4c-503...‌ Super funny comment about your diva being knocked up and living on the street!!

Try some cat nip, your Princess might like it!

0 Kudos

Can’t help you there. I’m a dog person

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

My darling kitty didn't like treats, either.  My lap was HER favorite treat - and putting me to bed at night!

🙂

0 Kudos
elvan

My cats like treats...only certain ones and I have to make my husband stop being so generous with them because they really are not great for them.  They like the ones called Temptations and, for some odd reason, they won't eat anything salmon flavored.  I have never had cats who refused salmon before.  They eat dry food and are given small portions of wet food twice a day.  You might want to google Jackson Galaxy, he has a show called "My Cat from Hell" and it gives all kinds of great suggestions for interactive play.

0 Kudos
missellen

Two of my cats will eat any kind of treat you put in front of them, much like our dogs. Our youngest and smallest kitty does not like treats--she really only seems to like her food.  The only thing we've found outside of her food that she kind of is interested in is butter--well, sorry, Toots, no butter every day for you!  

I do feel bad though when I'm passing out treats to all the other critters and there she sits, treatless.

For the record, she is a TOTAL diva.  We have a voice for her--it's a southern belle kind of thing and we always have her talk about how she "can't bear to live in these conditions any longer" and that she's going to "go fan herself on the veranda".   We're a little goofy with the our pets. 

0 Kudos