cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marciem

Low dose CT Scan for Lung cancer

Hi!

I'm new to this site and to most of you.  

I wanted to put in a plug for this terrific advance in the detection of lung cancer, especially for smokers and ex-smokers.

I'm the poster girl for who this scan was made for.  I quit smoking a little over 5 years ago, after 40+ years smoking.  A year and a half ago I requested this test and my doctor ordered it.  There were nodules on the lungs, which google told me were pretty normal... but the radiologist recommended repeat in 3 months.  Three months later, one of the nodules was "stable or slightly larger", which had my doc send me to a pulmonologist, who flat out said 'Nodules are usually considered benign until proven otherwise... EXCEPT in people who've smoked, in which case they are presumed malignant until prove otherwise."  Ok, now I'm scared.  The nodule was small, small enough that he asked a radiologist if further studies should be done.  And the answer was "YES,  PET scan now".  So that was done, and the nodule lit up like a christmas light (meaning it hypermetabolized the contrast, meaning "probably malignant").  On to biopsy.  The nodule was of a size that the Interventional radiologist said "This is the smallest nodule I will biopsy, any smaller and we'd wait and see a bit".  Biopsy... nonsmall-cell squamous carcinoma.

Ok, at that point I took myself to the Stanford University cancer treatment center.  After more testing and consults, it was determined I was not suitable for surgery because of COPD (also thanks to smoking  )... BUT, SABR (stereotactic ablation) treatment was a viable and effective option since I had no signs of metastases.

Short story long  ... I am one year post treatment, no signs of recurrence, none of the other nodules has grown yet, and the tumor is really most sincerely dead.  All because of early detection by the LOW DOSE CT SCAN FOR LUNG CANCER.

I'm gratified that recently I have even seen TV commercials for this screening, it is a powerful message.  I do have to say it looks like the mountain of cigarettes that the ex-smoker climbs each cigarette has about 1 puff taken out of it... I probably smoked more cigarettes than she climbed, but I sure didn't leave that much behind ...LOL, nope, it all went in my lungs.

Don't wait until you have symptoms of Lung cancer... get tested now.

Tags (1)
36 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Thank you for sharing your cautionary tale!

Stay well!

Nancy

Marciem

So Happy to hear as of right now,you are Cancer Free! Thank you for sharing this important information with us. I had Never heard of this test...... I for one appreciate the time you took to leave this here for us.... I'm afraid,I too,

smoked 45 yrs., except for 2 pregnancies,some failed quits, and a couple short stretches after surgeries.....

Only time will tell us what damage we have done to ourselves. This is my LAST  QUIT!!! I decided going in,there wasn't any room for failing....I'd like to enjoy a few years of retirement. (Of course women are never truly retired:always meals,errands,laundry,bookwork and cleaning waiting on us)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION.......Prairie 40 DOF 

prjimm01

Once I quit smoking my insurance provided lung CT scans as preventive medicine.  These would not be available were I still smoking.  After 2 scans I am still OK.   That is here in Ca and the second scan was covered by Medicare.  Go figure!

Strudel

Congrats on your quit! Great blog - thank you for sharing this important message. I have been considering having this test - so I really appreciate it. 

My doctor did order that test for me, but my insurance wouldn't cover it and I didn't have an extra fifteen hundred or so to do it. But thanks for the article! This could save a life! And congratulations on your quit!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

karenjones

Move to Canada, we have Universal Health Care.!

0 Kudos

Honestly, I've always wanted to move to Canada for reasons besides healthcare

0 Kudos
TW517

I had the low dose CT Scan done 2 weeks ago, right after my annual physical.  At the end of my physical, my doc said she wanted to recommend something to me.  She said I had been off cigarettes long enough, but she needed to know if I was sure this was my last quit.  I told her yes, and then she told me about this CT Scan.  I have no idea if the facts of my past and future smoking have any bearing on the efficacy of the exam, or if it was just her preference for some reason.

I too had a few nodules found, and they scheduled a follow-up in 3 months.

Thanks for sharing this important info, and congrats on your 5 year quit!

marciem

TW... these are the criteria listed by the U.S. Preventative Services Task force.  According to them, you don't even need to have quit smoking.  And again, I say "Bah Humbug" to the age criteria... your doctor can order it for you at any age.  There may be quibbles from insurance companies if you haven't reached 55.

The USPSTF recommends annual screening for lung cancer with low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) in adults aged 55 to 80 years who have a 30 pack-year smoking history and currently smoke or have quit within the past 15 years. Screening should be discontinued once a person has not smoked for 15 years or develops a health problem that substantially limits life expectancy or the ability or willingness to have curative lung surgery.