cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

agentmel

medine? Chantix or wellbutrin?

I am new and i am wondering if anyone here used either chantix or wellbutrin to quit smoking?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TW517

I have many prior quits using one or the other or both.  None lasted more than several weeks.  I never felt like either helped in the slightest.  But that is just me.  I know plenty of other people who swear by either or both.  I think what is more important than any medicine or nicotine replacement (patch, gum, lozenges) is an attitude of "deciding to quit" rather than "trying or hoping to quit", as well as being active in a support community such as this one.

Welcome to EX!  Let us know how we can help!

agentmel

thank you for the advise attitude is everything. i have a few failed attempts to quit. and im debating trying meds..

0 Kudos
TW517

If you and your doctor think it will help, by all means go for it.  I'm not against it at all.  I would suggest reading up on effects of each so you know what to expect.  And I think all who did get some benefit from meds and NRTs would agree, that they are just one of many tools to aid your quit.  They are not a panacea that will do the work of the quit for you.  Congrats on your decision to quit again after your failed attempts.  You have a lot of company here of people just like you.

JACKIE1-25-15

I used Wellbutrin for exactly 90 days.  Took the edge off of the craves is not a cure all just a help.    Successful 1147 DOF.  Some people have different side affects.  Speak with your doctor for advise. 

prjimm01

go buddy!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I used Chantix for about two weeks-  one before and one after I quit smoking.  I think it helped, and I had none of the frightening side effects.  Educating yourself on this addiction might help you choose which NRT, if any, will be right for you.

The most important thing you can do right now, though,  is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Strudel

I used Welbutrin for 12 weeks. (Half dose after 3 weeks - ok'd by doctor.) I have almost 8 years quit. I think it helped - but what helped even more was the support here and getting educated about this addiction - including reading Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking". You can do this!

0 Kudos
prjimm01

I used welbutrin and patches.  welbutrin pretty harmless and the combo worked for me.  i had a bad experience with Chantix.

0 Kudos
elvan

I had been on Wellbutrin for a long time before I quit, it was prescribed to help with pain after I had side effects from other antidepressants.  I did not quit smoking when I was put on it, I DID have more than one failed quit while I was on it...THIS quit which has been going on for over four years was done without any medication or nicotine replacement.  I have nothing against either, I just smoked for so long that I got very ill and I HAD to quit because I could not breathe.  Nothing will quit FOR you, your best friend is education about nicotine addiction and then planning your quit which is made much easier thanks to EX, My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX , I used all of the tools they suggest and I absolutely accepted that smoking would not FIX anything but it certainly did a whole lot of damage to my lungs.  The only thing I got from smoking was SICK and I will spend the rest of my life trying to be as healthy as possible...not easy after you mistreat your body for years.  Stay close to the site, read blogs, comment, do as you just did and ask for advice.  You CAN quit!

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

0 Kudos