cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

indie_grrrl

what's the best way to combat depression when quitting?

I have quit before and the hardest part was dealing with the depression. I am already a depressive person and when I quit, it seemed to hit me 10-fold. I couldn't get up in the morning, I would cry myself to sleep and wake up crying. I eventually started again because I was sick of feeling this way. I tried walking and meditating but that didn't really seem to help. 

Any advice?

Tags (1)
26 Replies
anaussiemom

Make yourself walk, even to the mailbox.   Any form of exercise, no matter how small. will kick a little serotonin in the brain.   Also perhaps Doctor visit,  if you are on meds, perhaps a bit of a boost more... I don't know.  I do crisis work.  I no nothing of the medical field except, when uncomfortable...>   Seek Professional Assist.  There are many studies  here, and all over the web.   That have this very discussion.   
indie_grrrl   I'm right here for you. 
Lots of elders also here to help walk you thru, and help you.   There is so much  to read read and keep reading and educating yourself.  
Please seek Doctor care, with your next new quit

many blessings
Kim

indie_grrrl

I am on meds and I think you're right. I will have to see my doctor before my quit date. eeek!

Lisaml

You will do great. Just ask yourself with all the tools you will need to set yourself up for success.You will be great I promise!!! Xxx 

GyorgyiM

Saturate yourself with people who "care", who offer their "compassion" and mean it..

There is no room for feeling any sense of selfishness....WE are here for you because WE NEED YOU TOO!!!

We don't stay strong by reading about people picking flowers all day, trust me. We stay strong by struggling through the issues WITH you, and offering whatever suggestions we can to help you to help us all.

Stay with us....keep reading.....and remember each morning when you wake WE will be HERE for YOU...

Miles of Smiles...

p/s..it's hard to be depressed when you force yourself to crack a smile....try that once in awhile, even if it alleviates those feelings for just a few seconds......except perhaps when your driving alone, or by yourself in a shopping mall......that might look kinda weird....

indie_grrrl

Thank you for your kind words! This community is really making me feel that this time it will be different. I am not alone.

GyorgyiM

This time it will be different? It already is my friend .....Smiles

desiree465

Hello indie welcome to the site. Quitting in and of itself is very hard. Having depression and/or anxiety makes it even harder. People who don't struggle with depression on a daily basis go through it when they quit smoking. So you do have a bit of an uphill battle. However, with that said you are not the only one on this site that has gone through it. My best advice to you is to first make sure that you are combating your everyday depression before you put more on your plate. If you aren't on a medication for it please please talk with your physician. Next you'll need to read through this site. No one person's experience is the same, what works for me wouldn't work for others. Get familiar with everyone on here, read the elders blogs. Then come up with a plan, what will you do when you are sad when you wake up. God only knows how many days I've woken up and thought eeehhh I can sleep another 3 hours. DON'T do it. People that suffer from depression need to sometimes force themselves outta bed. Yeah it will suck, you will cry(crying never killed anyone so do it if you need to). From personal experience the best way to combat depression and the added bonus of nicotine withdraw is to make yourself do things. Have a plane the night before. I would tell myself that I was going to wake up drink my tea, come on this site, take my dog out........ect. ect. It truly helped. You are much stronger then you would ever believe. A few weeks from now you'll be telling us how much better you feel. It's just hard to see it that way when you're going through those first few weeks. Remember smoking never actually helped you with anything, think about it. How did smoking a cigarette ever benefit you aside from satisfying the neurons in your brain. We are here for you, use us!

Lisaml

My advice for you would be to see your physician PRIOR to quitting. Quitting smoking does such a number on brain receptors that you really can't play around with major depressive episodes (waking up crying is symptom of major depression). Most antidepressants have a 2-4 week time to build up in your system to therapeutic levels. You would need to consult with your doctor, and begin/adjust your medicine regimen well in advance of your quit. I'm not saying you need meds for sure, but I would not rule that option out... something you and doc to hammer out together . 

All of the support listed above (GyorgyiM‌ has some excellent ideas will be good support/adjunct to a solid quit plan. 

But if you have a history of depression, you do need to consult your doc and get his/Her medical support as well. 

Best wishes to you!!!!

ps Desiree I think we were typing at the same time- lol- agree whole heartedly!!!!

desiree465

Oh and I also wanted to say you may want to consider NRT instead of going cold turkey. There are many benefits to slowly weening yourself off of nicotine. AND if you have insurance see if they'll pay for it. You might benefit from the patch, gum, or inhalers they offer.