cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kamella

Quitting without NRT

I understand that this program encourages using nrt when quitting but I am choosing to forego that. Seems like an even more daunting thing doing it this way. Can anyone give testimony to successfully quitting without NRT?

31 Replies
Lisaml

I think you will find people in this community have done it both ways. 

Personally, I have used chantix (short term, had to stop) 

ive tried a patch, didn't care for it, eventually quit after brief chantix period. 

No matter what your methods, if your resolve to quit and stay quit is there, you will be successful;-) 

Kamella

Thank you for the support. Every time I see the “Get your quit meds ready” I have a bit of a panic. You’re right about my resolve, currently listening to Alan Carr- The Easy Way to Quit and it’s pretty much my bible right now! Thanks again for the reminder about resolve. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Lot of successful quitters here who either used NRT, went cold (smart) turkey, or prescription meds such as Chantix or Wellbutrin.  This site is about quitting - no matter which method you choose.  Reading and education about this addiction along with the support that I received here, made all the difference in the world when I quit.  Best wishes!

Kamella

Good call, I definitely need to read more about how nicotine addiction holds us, thank you for that tip and your input. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

/blogs/SkyGirl-blog/2016/04/27/a-smart-turkey-repost-for-all-our-newbies?sr=search&searchId=954b7fe7... 

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking

Kamella

Thank you for the suggestions and links- I’m all about soaking in every info tool I can find. I have read, rather listened to Allen Carr’s The Easy Way to Quit and oh my gosh, it’s my most sacred go-to in my quit arsenal, it’s a great one! I noticed that the title is a little different in your post, is there another one?! I’m going to check out the links you provided and am grateful for your input and support, thank you!!  

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

It is the one.  I think quitting is not easy but easier with this book. 

TW517

There are many on this site who have successful quits using NRTs.  From my personal experience, and from every family member and friend of mine who has quit long term, NRTs were very detrimental to our quits.  What happened to us is this:  Every time we did a step down (lower dosage patch, or fewer pieces of gum or lozenges) it was like going through hell week all over again.  If you somehow made it past each of those 2 or 3 repeats of Week 1, then you almost always fail somewhere in the No Man’s Land period.  The reason being is that old “Just one won’t hurt” excuse seems more believable now.  You attribute your initial success to the NRT, and convince yourself you can quit again any time you want now that you have the “medicine” to do it again.  I, and everyone I know (except one person) were serial quitters, putting off our final quit for years or decades this way until we all finally went cold (smart) turkey.  The one person exception I mentioned is my sister-in-law.  She quit 20 years ago using Nicorette gum.  She is still using it today, ingesting 2-3 times more nicotine than she ever did smoking.

That being said, neither cold turkey nor NRTs are what’s most important in your quit.  I think most on this site would agree that your attitude, and the comraderie/encouragement/knowledge from this community are the two biggest factors in a successful quit.  You need to “decide” to quit instead of “try” to quit.  And you need to stick close to this site by reading and blogging/commenting as often as you can. 

Welcome to EX!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Around here we call it Smart Turkey!  I used Chantix for a week, took it another week, and then quit Smart Turkey.  I am now 5+ years quit.  Each person is unique.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Quit  Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read.

You might check out whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you used to smoke with it.   If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy