cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

MichelleDiane

What's your experience after the 7mg patch?

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some feedback from people who have used the patch.  Tomorrow will be my last day on 7mg (the lowest step).  What was your experience like?  Thanks in advance.

-Michelle

Labels (1)
51 Replies
anaussiemom

For me the feeling are the same as not being on one.  One moment at a time...

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

I used the patch for 6 weeks total.  I only used the 7 mg for one week but felt like I was getting so little nicotine that it wasn't much help.  I didn't experience big physical withdrawals when I quit using the patch.  You are doing great and I think that you will be fine - don't give the patch too much credit for your success - you are the one that is doing this!

anaussiemom

Agree.

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Jennifer, that's what my mind keeps saying.  After the 10 week program I have, hopefully, built up my tool kit and ways to work through cravings, urges, and thoughts.  I take the patch off from about 8:00pm until the morning, so I am already through most of the initial nicotine withdrawal in those hours.  I thank you for your input.

-Michelle

0 Kudos
elvan

MichelleDiane‌ Just look at all you have already overcome and how much you have already grown.  I am so proud of you!

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Ellen,

I always feel that there is so much to say when you write that you are proud of me.  I'm proud of me too and am growing more comfortable saying that.  

Thanks always,

Michelle

I will lessen your fear that suddenly you're going to have strong cravings, because you won't.  There will be some, but that's just because the nicotine is leaving your body and those nasty nicotine receptors in your brain are dying off.  /blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/07/21/the-more-you-know is a blog I wrote that has a link to an article that has some very useful information in it and on that site.  You will have ups and downs but it's all part of the process and part of NML.  These are the links to the weekly blogs about it: No Man's Land Weekly Blogs.  during this time, use that search function at the top right of your screen or go to Relapse Prevention‌ and read a lot there. 

You will find yourself in a lot of those articles during this time.  Suddenly around six months you're going to have the thought of oh, just one won't hurt.  I've been quit this long, I'm good.  Let those sirens go off.  it's just the addictive mind tricking you into believing that. /blogs/Giulia-blog/2008/10/12/wise-words-that-helped-me-when-i-first-quit is another bookmark I have that I refer to from time to time when life throws me a loop. 

Just have the mind set that this is a science experiment and you are the subject.  experience each day and learn from it.  You're going to have days when you cry at the drop of a hat and other days you're just fine.  it doesn't last long.  Every month you're going to notice that they become less and less.  use the search function and type in nicotine receptors and you'll learn how those little buggers like to hang in there for the longest time.  Mine seemed to hang around forever, but I had 43 years of building them up.  So it makes sense that it would take a while for them to die down. 

After six months, the urges out of the blue are usually an association with something you've done in your life that you smoked your way through for many years.  Those associations are there because you never replaced them with anything new.  I always think of my brain as a huge filing cabinet.  The first year is basically me purging through the files and replacing the old yellowed nicotine stained pages with fresh new ones to take its place.  you're in the period of rebirth, rejoice ~!!!!!

MichelleDiane

Thanks Lori.  I'll be going to read now

0 Kudos