cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lisaml

Looking for triggers in all the wrong places

it's truly amazing what sets me off.. salivating almost. Today, day 65 ish.. have been plugging along rather painlessly lately when BAM! I get hit with the blunt reminder that I'm not out of the woods yet! 

#1. Walgreens. Picking up a birthday card. Rather innocuous right? Well, until I'm at the cashier and become a Pavlovian puppy at the sight of the Marlboro behind her... 

I pay for my stuff and leave, sucking on a jolly rancher instead. BOY, that could have gone differently. 

#2. Bought some stuff this weekend and had the boxes to break down and take to the fire pit. Hadn't lit the fire pit up since last fall. Oh, my heavens did the smell of bonfire, smoke, crackling burning stuff take me back down a sensory memory lane. I was practically sitting on the log with a Marlboro in one hand and a... NOPE! I don't do that anymore!!!!

so, I took a DEEP breath, threw the  ball a few times for my dog, and really enjoyed the beautiful fresh air.... 

seriously. 

Pitfalls are everywhere. We will always be vulnerable and have to work hard to protect our quits. i heard your voices today at Walgreens and again at the firepit. Thank you for your wisdom!!! 

Quitting is easy. STAYING Quit is another story! 

It was crystal clear to me today that I will need to guard this quit with everything I've got!!!! 

13 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

You have got this. 

Lisaml

Thank you dear. you know I do! Xox 

0 Kudos

You are so right!

CONGRATULATIONS on sixty-five plus days, and on realizing the pitfalls that come with those first days.

I know what you mean. Every time you start to feel comfortable, BAM! Suddenly you're back in the middle of the fight. Perhaps it was just me, but when this happened to me I'd look at the situation and realize that it wasn't nearly as strong as it was before. That over time, the triggers lose power.

But we have to always be careful for a while because though those triggers have less power, they still have some power.  I'm so glad you saw this and avoided what could have been a horrible mistake! Great job on keeping your wonderful quit alive and for continuing to build an incredible future for yourself!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Lisaml

Exactly! The pitfalls (for me) tend to pop up when I'm minding my own business;-) 

This has been my biggest lesson.  Thanks, Chuck!!!

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I know your gonna stay quit. You know how I know????

Because you are doing everything so far as I can see thats being suggested. You read, you understand , you have the vision of where you will be if you light up again, your vigilant and strong. You stand up for your quit.

Well done Lisa! I am proud of you and congrats on 65 days.! Bravo!!!

Lisaml

Thanks, sweetie! 

The mistake I made on my last quit was not protecting it. I didn't understand that NOPE means NOPE and I would never NEVER be the kind of person who could take it or leave it. Now that I understand that 1 puff would send me back to 15-25/day I will NOT do it. The relapse prevention stuff on this site is priceless. Life changing stuff!!!;)

im so grateful for all I've learned!!! Xoxox 

0 Kudos
Giulia

You just keep getting wiser and wiser with each passing trigger.  That's the way to do it.  

MichelleDiane

Yup Lisa...totally with you on this.  Somedays are no issue, but others seem to be the complete opposite.  Yesterday while I was getting gas I had to keep my eyes down when I paid so I would not see the cigarette boxes.  So strange.  I've been doing well with getting gas and not worrying, but yesterday I just had to look away.  I knew they were there, but I didn't see them.  Once I got on the highway to work I was able to distract my thoughts to a very funny dialogue about all the Dodge Rams on the road.  There was one ahead of me that I was conversing with out loud.  I am a complete nut job, but it did make me laugh and have a good day.  I hope today brings you peace.  You are doing so beautifully quit buddy.  Keep it up and we will be walking to freedom together.

hugs,

Michelle

your first year you don't realize how much of your life revolved around smoking.  Of course, in my case, if the wind blew the wrong direction, I lit up.  Trust me when I tell you that your second go-around of the next year is so much easier and that's when you find yourself reminiscing how you reacted the year prior.  BOOM, just there you're already creating new memories.  Those change of seasons and going through the motion of your daily life or even yearly events will have those smoking memories sparked.  You're doing great.  Looking forward to seeing you at the annual bonfire they throw around here on the 4th of July.  that's when you realize how much you haven't smoked.