cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nymous

Herbal supplements

Any suggestions for herbal supplements to mitigate cravings. I read that Lobelia is used for cravings. any advice  is it worth a try ?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

One of our elders Thomas3.20.2010  previously posted.

Help release dopamine

Herbs:

Nettles Fenugreek, Ginseng, Milk Thistle, Red Clover, and Peppermint. They are best consumed as herbal teas.

Supplements:

Tyrosine, plus several Vitamins such as B, C and E as well as Iron, Folic Acid and Niacin.

[Check with your health care practitioner before including additional iron in your diet.]

https://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/lobelia 

Lobelia- The FDA reported that such products were not effective in helping people quit or reduce smoking.

0 Kudos
Anya

There is an awesome book, "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings, Weight Gai... 

It's a classic and well respected (not a weight loss book but how to use food and supplements for healing). She has a protocol for quitting smoking and dealing with cravings. Mostly amino acids, like tyrosine, but others also. Has lots of solid advice for general health, and emotional health.

I would also look into vitamins / herbs to boost immune system to speed healing. And adaptogen herbs to keep emotions stable,calm and energy levels even.

Good luck!

Anya

day 11

emilyt123078

Good to know!! 

0 Kudos
Anya

Exercise and getting enough sleep are important for reducing cravings. Even a 10 min. brisk walk will do wonders.

Magnesium is also really great.

GyorgyiM

Cravings? 

How about a BIG BOWL OF HUNGARIAN CHICKEN PAPRIKAS ! 

It is all natural, healthy, and full of vitamins. You'll be soooooo full you'll want to take a nap so you wont have to worry about cravings because you'll be asleep.....LOL!

and after you wake up you can have a BIG FAT PIECE OF GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE...

then you'll nap again....

SEE? you will be in a chronic state of "sleep" and "unconscious" so no worries about cravings!

What? What? it was just a suggestion....

Hope you find your "Niche" (Herb or supplement) .....or a Hungarian Cookbook! LoL

Miles of Smiles...

G.

elvan

VERY FUNNY.  Seriously, if I can't sleep, I eat something high in sugar, a cookie, a piece of candy...something HIGH in sugar and it usually puts me to sleep.  Sugar rush and then sugar crash.

GyorgyiM

Cant sleep? ....Okay plan B

You can do what I did and go outside in the dark in my robe with a flashlight and pull weeds! 

Really, i did. I was so restless from withdrawals I was determined to keep myself busy till I was ready to crash.

Thank goodness their are no streetlamps in my neighborhood. If a car drove by I would stand up and pretend I was walking my dog in the yard (looks kinda silly holding an invisible leash).

WHATEVER it takes was and still is my motto! I have cleaned parts of my home that usually are not on a persons "to do" list when house cleaning! LoL 

Actually it's quite awesome to have this much energy..I was so lethargic in the past and had NO clue that it was due to cigarettes. Nicotine was dissolving my bone and muscle mass / tissue....along with many other horrible side effects regarding our bodies and MIND. 

Sugar? so be it...

Smiles,

G.

JACKIE1-25-15

LOL  I can imagine me doing something like that. My motto is/was by any means necessary not to smoke .  I think I cleaned my house and rearranged the furniture so many times.  It got ALMOST ridiculous but it kept my mind off smoking. Nights I could not sleep look out cabinets and closets.  I ended with a very clean and organized home.  I thought it was clean before but smoking does cloud your senses.  eyes ears and nose. 

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

I suppose once I have revamped my ENTIRE house I can perhaps either A) Go clean/organize my neighbors homes or B) Start my own business!!..

It's good to laugh out loud....thanks for sharing Jackie! 

Ohhh I better go out and get some more batteries.......

Miles of Smiles

G.

0 Kudos