cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThePearlWolf

Advice for how to lessen effects of healing.

Hi all,

I’m 10 days free!  This week, I’m at a business conference and the effects of quitting are unfortunately at their loudest. I’ve got a sinus infection, semi-stuffy nose, with eye swelling and ear pain and bloody nostrils, which is bad enough at a conference where you sit in tight quarters, quietly listening to the speakers, but I’ve also reached the constant throat clearing stage, which is unbearable in this environment. I know it’s from cilia regrowing and I know it can last for several months or just several weeks.  I’m seeking any advice anyone has to lessen the need to clear my throat, whether it’s congestion medicine, nasal sprays, throat spray, anything, even if it’s just a temporary solution. I’m affecting others abilities to enjoy the conference and unfortunately I need to attend each learning session, so I’m not sure how to help the situation or even if there is a way. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I actually have no idea - but you might try a decongestant?  A mucous thinner?  Nose spray?  I would start trying topical solutions and then move on to the drugs?

Let us know how you are doing?

Nancy

Anya

I'm a believer in searching out natural remedies first. Can you go to  Whole Foods or a vitamin store and get supplements to deal with lung/ upper respiratory healing? Vitamin C and anti-oxidents to help your immune system deal with these symptoms. Drink lots of water and tea. Dairy products (milk, cheese, ice cream)  are said to increase mucus production, so maybe avoid dairy for a while. More liquids to thin the mucus. Consider using a Neti pot.

Good luck!!

AnnetteMM

Mucinex. Absolutely. Plus everything you'd normally do for a cold.  Your lungs are working overtime now without smoke getting in the way.  Give 'em a helping hand.

Barbara145

Best thing I ever found is Olive leaf nasal spray.  I order it online from Seagate products.com.  They are an organic company out of California.  Prices are very reasonable.  Congrats on quitting smoking.

JACKIE1-25-15

Licorice root.  You can find it in the oriental food stores.  You can brew it as a tea or bite and chew a piece and put it under your tongue.  Works wonders.  Also helps with the cravings.  Hot tea will open up your sinuses. 

MichelleDiane

Great question ThePearlWolf.  I have been experiencing that for a little over a week.  I can't seem to get it to stop.  I suck on cough drops and drink water, but it persists.  Funny though it doesn't last all day.  It's only for about 2-3 hours.  For me it's frustrating and uncomfortable.  When I'm with clients it is so disruptive in the session.  Also, I find that I get a little laryngitis when this happens, so I will go to speak and nothing comes out.  (Very embarrassing).  I'm reading what others have suggested because I need help with that too.  Congratulations on your quit.

-Michelle

elvan

Well, you have gotten lots of advice...the easiest things would be the mucinex, maybe even some of the Hall's cough drops that have a liquid center and I strongly suggest lemon juice.  You can get it at ANY grocery store, I take about an ounce of it when I get that gurgly throat thing.  It usually clears it up immediately.  The mucinex thins any secretions and the Hall's coats your throat and helps with that irritation.  I recommend lemon juice to everyone and I have had many people thank me because they could not stop clearing their throats, they drove themselves and others crazy.  I am going to keep track of the other things people suggested so maybe I can have them on hand if I need them in the future...I just thought the lemon juice might help and be easy to get.

Ellen

GyorgyiM

In addition to these wonderful suggestions....Possibly try "deep breathing". Remember your lungs were use to expanding while you were inhaling over and over again "all day long" Now that your lungs are more idle and breathing normally, the damage is sort of sitting their like soot,  Take a deep breath through you nose till you feel your belly is full and then slowly breath out threw your mouth (kinda like when you were smoking) this will break up any damaged tissues to make it easier for the cilia to heal any scaring. I am NOT a doctor but I just took it upon myself to start doing this when I stopped smoking and it  makes sense to me and made me feel much better. I haven't  really coughed in any crazy way, and I use to smoke 2 packs a day for 43 years, so maybe there is some truth in my self diagnosis with the deep breathing thingie!

Hope you solve this issue either way...

Miles of Smiles...(cough less)

G.

ThePearlWolf

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!  They have a shuttle here that we can reserve for shopping, so I think I'll reserve it for this evening and go get some of the listed items.  I would've never thought of lemon juice! 

0 Kudos