cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hollyrose

How do I get through my 12 step meeting?

Jump to solution

Any 12 steppers here? I have my first meeting after quitting and EVERYONE SMOKES

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elvan

Put a dab of Vick's vaporub under your nose to disguise the smell and walk past the people who are smoking and remember that they are smoking because they HAVE to...talk about your nicotine recovery, I'll bet you will get lots of support.  I remember when meetings were ALL smoking meetings and the smoke coming out of those rooms was crazy.  My husband has been sober for over 33 years and I went to Al-Anon for a long time, the support was amazing.  You can do this, you can walk past the smokers and keep on going on the way in and on the way out.

Ellen

View solution in original post

15 Replies
vanlil

Wow hard to believe -  I have been in 12 Steps Recovery 40 yrs.  they are all smoke free.  Look around and find one that is smoke free or at least a non-smoker table.

Are you looking for an excuse not to attend?  

Lillian 626 dof

hollyrose

I mean that they smoke outside the clubhouse before and after. Kind of a

non related question about the excuse, but I make every meeting

0 Kudos
elvan

Put a dab of Vick's vaporub under your nose to disguise the smell and walk past the people who are smoking and remember that they are smoking because they HAVE to...talk about your nicotine recovery, I'll bet you will get lots of support.  I remember when meetings were ALL smoking meetings and the smoke coming out of those rooms was crazy.  My husband has been sober for over 33 years and I went to Al-Anon for a long time, the support was amazing.  You can do this, you can walk past the smokers and keep on going on the way in and on the way out.

Ellen

hollyrose

Thank you so much! Getting Vic's vapor rub tomorrow. I made it through my first meeting today smoke free and celebrated 6 months!

Anya

Put on some amazing body/ hand lotion and enjoy the lovely smell throughout the meeting! You're doing awesome!

indingrl

Welcome and good question been 12 STEP RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC ONLY BY GODS GRACE 30 YEARS... keep it simple and ask BEFORE the meeting begins for a NON smoking meeting by  letting them KNOW your Recovering NICOTINE addict..... only take 2 to have a meeting love you and so proud of you too KEEP coming BACK! 

hollyrose

Thanks so much for your input!

0 Kudos
indingrl

Your welcome and keep Blogging please and thabk you!

Giulia

Congratulations on both counts!