cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML & In-betweener Weekly Check in - 3/5/2018

We do this blog every Monday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in No Man’s Land -- months 2-3-4 of a quit and for those between NML and the 6% club (1 year of a quit). Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

This week’s topic: Are you in No Man’s Land?

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start at the end of your first month.

The first month of a quit is emotional and exhausting; you’re living in the moment and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go.
 The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can really catch you off guard. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be overwhelming at times.

But here’s the good news
. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening! 

If you're in NML or an In-betweener right now, give a shout!  Reach out and find each other! 

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...   

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months?sr=search...

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
MichelleDiane

Hey Roller.  Hope all is well.  Moving forward through NML on day 64.  It feels good most of the time.  I seem to get very angry with myself when I am in a rough patch.  It's as if I am scolding myself for even thinking of smoking.  I know there are a lot of emotions that are brought up during this journey, but I get angry.  I know others will chime in and I welcome hearing their experiences.  

-Michelle

Roller831

You know it is ok to be angry and think about smoking!  Are you angry FOR thinking about smoking or angry because you AREN'T smoking or is anger the emotion because things are just rough?  It's great to feel good most of the time!  Maybe try to figure out why you are having that rough patch in the first place?  That may shed light on something else.  Remember, we are learning to deal with a lot of emotions these days and do it without smoking.  I know I used to smoke to cover up all of the emotions I was feeling!

You are doing great!  Keep up the good work!

Roller

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

Happy Monday, Day 70 nicotine free for me!  I'm doing very well overall.  Stood outside to talk to someone yesterday while they smoked, first time I did that.  It was okay, actually. I thought I'd be tempted but I really wasn't.  Didn't smell good to me at all.  And I got cold, lol.

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Congratulations on 70 days Annette.  

Roller831

Congrats on your 70 DOF!  I remember doing something similar, but I don't do it often anymore since I don't want to tempt fate.

It does smell horrible!  I look back and think about how I stunk!  Eeeew.

desiree465

Congrats to Michelle and Annette on 64 and 70 DOF. Last week I had a horrible time with cravings that lasted forever and came on constantly. It was the first time that I thought about getting a pack of cigarettes and giving up. It scared me a little at times I really thought I was going to break. I'm so glad I didn't throw away the last two months of being smoke free. Because I know as soon as I lite up and got my fix I would go into a shame spiral. I didn't have too bad of a time over the weekend and today was fine too. I still can't believe how addiction creeps up on you like that no wonder so many people have trouble. 

MichelleDiane

desiree465 felt that way too many times, but I stuck by N.O.P.E and it has worked.  I cannot go back to day 1.  I won't go back to day 1.  Thanks for reaching out.  I appreciate it and congratulations on your quit!

-Michelle

Roller831

A thought does not require an action.  Good for you!  I have no idea if this is true, but I remember someone once telling me a craving lasts 7 seconds.  Granted, you may have one right after the other and so on, but you can get through 7 seconds at a time.  If you are also nicotine free, then the cravings are psychological.  All of the chemicals are out of your system.  

One step and then another will get you to where you want to be.

Roller

0 Kudos
desiree465

I think it's definitely psychological. It was just so strong I couldn't believe it. Luckily today was another good day because I was busy.

0 Kudos