cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Krispy1

Chewing a piece of 4 mg gum after no nicotine for weeks ?

Ok so I quit cold turkey Feb 12 th, 2018. I have been smoking a pack pluss for 25 years.

I had awful with drawl for 3 days. Headache, sick to stomachs, the chills. It was really awful and ridiculous at the same time. In the past year I have tried the patch, I could smoke with a 21 mg patch on..And chantex while it did help with the cravings, it made me an awful crazy person. I knew if I was ever going to quit it had to be cold turkey.. So I did it. I have been almost 3 weeks with no nicotine. Today I was emotionally pushed to my limit . I ended up digging through my cupboard and found 4 mg nicotine gum, rather then resorting to physical  violence. I know that sounds awful, but honestly I was dealing with a mouthy 21 year old who knows everything is never wrong and is getting a loan to buy a house after working for a company for 6 mnths and makes 15 bucks an hour.What does one even say to that logic.. Any ways I chewed a 4mg gum for like 5 minutes. Now my brain is screaming for another peice..AM I going To Go  Through WITHDRAWAL all over again? 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I honesty don't know but I wouldn't think the withdrawal would be as severe as the first 3 days of your quit.  It could be, at least partially, that you triggered the psychological addiction.  In that case, I would do some reading and practice a little self talk to motivate yourself.  You will be fine - just work on having a good attitude - and that will take you far!  Congratulations on your quit!

desiree465

I don't think you'll go through the kind of withdraw you went through the first time. During one of my many quits I was nicotine free for about a week and then I took a drag or ten of one of the e-cigarettes with nicotine in it and I did get a little cranky the next day but it wasn't as bad as first few days. 

I chew chewing gum fiercely when I've had enough.  when I quit, my drama queen daughter did not live with me.  She was my biggest trigger.  We got her on antipressants years ago, but habits can die hard.  I've found that increasing my omega 3's and adding additional B12 helps.  Also used something called True Calm by NOW, another homeopathic.  But getting back to drama.  I used to engage in her drama.  We'd go round and round for hours on end.  Now after she's back home again, she says something that trips my trigger, I just get up and say I'm done discussing this.  I've stated my point and you can do with it what you will.  at that exact moment I relinquished control.  She could chase me around the room, and trust me it would be at a very slow pace, but I'm not engaging anymore any longer.  I find my private corner and practice deep breathing or distract myself with something else.  But you do need to put your thinking cap on and think of ways to end the yelling at least on your end and calm thyself.  They figure it out eventually when they no longer get the response out of you like they were expecting to do.  But it sounds like he's your biggest trigger or you're simply making him one.  Trust me, when you no longer fall into it, they don't yell as much.  It takes a while but it works.

The reason why I gave that long drawn out story is that the situation with him will come around again.  Reaching for that nicotine gum is not your answer.  Your brain is telling you it is because that's what took care of it before.  If you want to stay quit, live a smoke free life free from nicotine, you need to come up with ways to cope with the major stressors of the day.  When I first quit, I went through the My Quit Plan and went through the steps like they said I should, but I missed an important component.  I never filled out the section about when tracking my cigarettes, identifying my triggers, the part of how I plan to separate myself.  Sure, I could put the same thing for every one of them, and I think I checked off every single one, but it wouldn't get me anywhere.  I'm not teaching my brain to associate that "thing" with the replacement  for 1), the trigger and 2) the emotion it ignites.  The purpose of that section is to train yourself to do something else other than smoking when you have coffee or when you're mad or when you're bored.  As you keep doing the same thing over and over, in this instance sticking a piece of gum in when I'm frustrated, the thought of smoking never pops in my head anymore.  The thought of where did I lay that pack of gum does.  When I'm bored, I start a new crochet project or research one.  

Sure, the withdrawal probably won't be as bad, but then aren't you constantly putting yourself in withdrawal by grabbing for that nicotine gum?  Every time something happens that gets to be too much, you're going to be running to the store and buying nicotine gum instead of buying cigarettes that have nicotine in it.  You're doing the exact same thing.  Instead of buying a pack, you're buying nicotine gum.  That moment in time with your son has you crawling the walls, but once you distance yourself, calm yourself, don't allow that situation to be able to control you or you controlling the situation, the frustration passes.  It's worked for me and I had a boatload of apprehension when the drama queen returned back home over a year ago.

AnnetteMM

The Law of Addiction:

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Unfortunately, that's exactly how addiction works, whether it's nicotine or alcohol or heroin. Once the body gets the drug again, the withdrawal cycle immediately kicks back in.  So it's been a day... how did you do?  

Krispy1

I have done ok I did end up chewing another half p eice but that has been it.

Please Understand The Nicotine Is Out Of Your Body In 3 Days.

0 Kudos
Sootie

AnnetteMM‌   has outlined the Law of Addiction for you.

Here's a little "characterization" that always helped me in picturing what was happening as a smoker and then when you quit. 

So----you have these little receptors in your brain and they are "fed" by nicotine. The reason people think nicotine (smoking) calms them down is that when these nicotine receptors don't get fed regularly (and I mean REGULARLY---nicotine begins to fade from your system in minutes) then the receptors get very CRANKY. It is the receptors screaming for nicotine that makes a person "need" to smoke. When they smoke....they think..."ahh......see I was right. A cigarette calmed me right down". BUT.....what really happened was....they fed their receptors....they fed their addiction.....and it calmed down (for a short while!).

When you quit smoking, the receptors get REALLY, REALLY CRANKY!! They start screaming and shouting....give me that nicotine! Since you have quit, you don't feed them. You deny them what they want. And so "withdrawal" begins. They go insane for the nicotine they can't have. They try making you grouchy, then foggy, then sleepy then nervous.......they want their drug!!! If you continue your quit you continue to deny them what they want and need........ and they begin to die. Slowly, you take back what you will and will not put in your body. Slowly, you find out that you really are CALMER without smoking. It's hard to believe....but it is true. Anyone here with a long quit will tell you this.......we can't all be lying : )

When you reintroduce nicotine......you raise those little receptors from the dead. But certainly you don't raise as many as you grew in 25 years of smoking. You'll experience some crankiness from them again as they think they are making a comeback. But if you are tough and just tamp them right down again.......you will be fine.

Now------if GiuliaYoungAtHeartelvanJonesCarpeDiemelvan‌ or any one of my other elder friends will assist me......please post a picture of a tombstone to show Krispy1‌ where the receptors need to stay!  YOU ALL KNOW---I CANNOT POST PICTURES!

Stay Strong

AmandaJ23

This is great! I picture my addiction as a bitchy little lady in my head telling me ridiculous things to make me smoke.

Giulia