cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Anya

Not trusting myself

I'm ashamed and embarrassed. I was supposed to have met 100 dof, but I had dropped out of sight. I smoked. Not everyday, but at least 1-2 times a month since the new year. I know what my trigger is: feelings of extreme stress and depression. And my mind tells me that I can't possibly survive that stress without smoking. I don't drink or smoke pot. Cigarettes have been my last refuge when my life blows apart.

I'm sorry that I let myself and this community down.

I truly want to trust that I can withstand any stressor on my own 2 feet without smoking. I know this is my responsibility. And I will work on reaching out for help and support. I'm doing a great job of beating myself up about this...and need to turn it around with positive action (posting and being real about this addiction).

I'm on day 8 of not smoking right now. 

Anya

0 Kudos
21 Replies
anaussiemom

Anya You aren't letting people here down.  !!  Wow Your back to DOF of 8, great days.  Good for you.!!   It is very emotional, when we light up". 
  Be gentle, and commit to your whole being".  Your body will thank you.

You will win the quit.  Anya   I love this name.  Had a kitty named Anya.   Also not sure of spelling love the woman who sings with similar name.  Breathtaking music she sings!!

You have got this.  I know you do! 
Hugs Kim
!roses-desi-glitters-59.gif

Anya

Thank-you Kim, that means a lot.

I’m tired and just want to have a year without stress LOL. If that doesn’t work, the next best thing is to be confident that I can handle any stress that life brings with calm, equanimity, acceptance and courage. And not binge on cigarettes or food.

anaussiemom

Allow the stresses to pass thru you, in other ways. ❤️

Re-learning Rewards

Blog Post created by Dr.Hays on Jan 31, 2018
Anya

True. That is the best advice. Now the trick is remembering it in the moment:)

0 Kudos
Strudel

Hi and welcome back! Congrats on your quit! Have you read Carr's book - " The Easy Way to Quit Smoking"? It really helped me see what brainwashing had done and helped me realized that in fact I DID NOT need to smoke to deal with stress. Smoking was actually causing stress. Please check it out - or re-read it! Again - congrats! 

Anya

Thanks, it's been years since I read it. 

0 Kudos
elvan

Anya  I am so happy to see you back here, so sorry that your quit did not work out,  I wondered where you had been.  It really does not do any good to beat yourself up but I suspect we have all done that if we relapsed.  I think you need to re-evaluate what smoking does for you because it really does NOT help with stress, it feeds it and it does not help with depression...think how much more depressed you were after you started again.  Congratulations on 8 days, that means you have made it through "Hell" week.  You CAN do this...smoking does nothing FOR you but it does lots TO you.  Take it from someone who knows all too well.  If you feel like you cannot make it...come here, BLOG, put the word HELP in the subject line and they write out WHY you feel you can't make it.  I believe you will be surprised at how much power you take away from the feeling that you "need" to smoke and that you will get support from all kinds of people.  We all want you to succeed.  We all care about you.  

Ellen

Anya

Thank-you so much Elvan, for your words of wisdom and your kindness. I’m not good at reaching out for help, but clearly I need to practice!

Hugs,

Anya

0 Kudos
elvan

We are here to help you and remember that when you reach out...you help the person who reaches back every bit as much as they help you.  We WANT you here and we WANT you to be successful!

Hugs,

Ellen