cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Today’s new growth, really amazing....

here are carrot tops I started for the greens to use for cooking, 2 days ago and then the Bok choy, romaine and celery. I did pull off the side bundles from them as they turn brown. 

3124A0DA-08CB-4098-B88F-AED7A599D2CB.jpeg

A66DC39E-8E43-40FB-A398-97FDACEC47D6.jpeg

D1BD1095-2053-41CF-9126-6F75F5DA72EC.jpeg

0C574E57-7521-4135-B86B-8146B524717F.jpeg

Will give them them another week or so and then pot them. Then in Spring will transplant to garden ........all but carrot greens which will stay inside rooting to clip off prn for cooking  

When to area basketball tournament games tonight, fun time, now we are gonna relax and watch old movie , Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford. Night, all!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
50 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

How many plants do you get.  Carrots 3? Celery?  I have seen celery rooted  before.  This is very interesting I am going to try to use the seeds from my peppers.

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Hello Sweet gardener friend!

The carrot top will only produce carrot greens. I don’t plant them.

the others will each grown one plant. Each of them, is a cut off end from entire bunch of Bok choy, romaine lettuce and celery. 

With peppers I believe you have to dry the pepper seeds out first and then plant them. Let’s see if Chuck can help with that, he has a degree in horticulture and will be such an asset to this group. 

@Chuck_Quit_2-20-2011.     ?

I cannot get his name correct , maybe you know how to do that.

Also, you can google vegetables that you can root from scrapes, many videos and super interesting!

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes I was going to dry them out.  Once in a while a get a tomato plant from old seeds.  My grandmother use to keep the seeds of everything. 

JACKIE1-25-15

I have done potatoes and my mother use to do celery. But she would just keep it in a pot in the house. It made the house smell fresh. 

Mandolinrain

Now I love that idea...to make the house smell fresh. I will do it, thank you!

heirloom tomatoes are my favorite. Can I dry those seeds out as well and replant?

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Oh my lord..you two are great (Missy and Jackie).  I am loving this conversation.  I also take seeds from previous veggies and flowers and dry them for the next season.  I also did the same thing with my lettuce (everyone thought I was nuts, but it works and I had salad).  I'm heading to bed now, but I am smiling from ear to ear.  (I can't grow corn...don't have the room...I know stupid joke).  Have a great night my gardener friends.

Hugs,

Michelle

Mandolinrain

i am headed to bed as soon as I type this. .....so you know, I never had luck with corn. I have always rooted and started a lot with seeds from store but now am thinking I need to do more seed drying. I would like to know from anyone, some nice shade flowers. I have tons of hostas from old house that I can go over and get starts and a few...but I a, starting from scratch here at new house and feel a bit lost ....wish I could have you all come over and give me ideas. Sweet dream my lovely garden girls

0 Kudos
elvan

Such HAPPY growing going on there!  Makes me want to plant SOMETHING.  I so want flowers this year but I cannot bend over to plant things and my allergies are so bad that I don't do well outdoors unless I am in a pool.  I would LOVE to have a raised garden...particularly since our dirt is mostly rocks and roots and impossible to dig in...you are so lucky, Missy, plants AND babies.

Love,

Ellen

Mandolinrain

You can do some of these inside, just need a glass of water