Happy March everyone and welcome to the Daily Pledge in the Celebrations & Events community where we can meet daily to take another person's hand and make our commitment stronger.
March is the first month of Spring! Here are some fun facts about March:
- March is named after Mars, the Roman god of war as it was the month in which the military campaigning season got under way after winter.
- In Old English one name for the month of March was “Hlyda” meaning “loud” possibly because of the roaring March winds.
- March is the only month with three consecutive consonants in its name in English.
- An old proverb says that “March comes in a like a lion and goes out like a lamb”, which means that winter is ending and spring is beginning.
- In ancient Rome before Julius Caesar’s calendar reform, March was the first month of the year.
- The expression “mad as a March hare” dates back to 1529. It refers to the wild behaviour of male hares during the mating season in March.
- Fredric March twice won an Oscar for Best Actor. Main Street On The March (1941) and March Of The Penguins (2005) also won Oscars.
- MARCH is an acronym for the Medically Aware and Responsible Citizens of Hyderabad.
- The birthstone for March is aquamarine and the flowers are the daffodil or violet.
- More 20th century UK Prime Ministers had birthdays in March than any other month
Ready to pledge? Think we can beat our all-time high this year of 651 posts?
As you go through your day you know that you have these two people with you and all of you are keeping each other strong. How cool is that!