cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Should i reset ?

I have a confession to make I had pretty good day at work but got so aggravated at my boyfriend yesterday . I have just started my job so I haven't got paid yet i was really hoping and praying he would help me get a tire but it really hurt that he wouldn't even answer my calls he claims his phone died but I know better . he was with his Mom all day I ended up getting so mad I did smoke one I feel like a failure should I reset my data ?

Tags (2)
23 Replies
minihorses

I was at about a week when I messed up and smoked one, but only one.  Since I figured that one smoke only constituted 1% of my 99% smoke free day I didn't change my stats.  Think of it as a momentary weakness and a learning lesson and don't beat yourself up about it.  You came on Ex and bared the truth and that takes resolve on your part.  You've added a tool to your 'first aid' kit by that experience so that if you feel that way again, come out here and read/write before you go straight for the old way of coping.  I bet you'll find that a few minutes on Ex will distract you long enough to stave off the craving and keep you on track.  Keep your chin up and give us a shout when you think you want another one. YOU CAN become a non-smoker and we've got your back!

together we can quote.jpg

Julie

MichelleDiane

Sorry you were in that position  Shadowluv420.  The thing is that there will always be potential anger, frustration, sadness, etc.  Smoking never changes any of that.  Think about how you feel now.  Upset with yourself.  Did smoking help that or created that.  Whether or not you change your quit date is your decision to make.  Keep coming here and getting support and guidance from the other eX'ers.  The question is more, "What do I do when I am angry and want a cigarette?  How can I manage my frustration without a cigarette?"  By educating yourself you will be able to work through your emotions and not react to them.  Keep at it and don't give up.  Working hard to attain something is worth the effort.

Best,

Michelle

JACKIE1-25-15

We here are on the premise of NOPE not one puff ever to be a nonsmoker.  What do you do if tomorrow you just had another "just one".   My opinion is you should reset because it sets a presidency to others that it is okay if they just have one.  Just one can lead to one more and then another.  It is up to you whether you reset or not.   Either day 1 or day 8?   How do you Learn from your mistakes? Bottom line there is no reason to smoke just EXcuses. Get back on track reset. 

Totally your decision... Next time, that's where you are headed ...do come to the site and post. Exer's have your back!

I've had a NON-STOP ration of ugly stuff to deal with in the past 23 days. Today is my 24 day...I have to say, I could have threw away MY QUIT away Repeatedly...Some of those ADDICTIVE thoughts and desires were Strong! I came here 1st. and read. I posted and I didn't Smoke!!! Personally, We fight so hard for each day of our Freedom...Do make the most of the tools here at the site. Protect your Quit at all Costs.......Dust Yourself Off and Keep That Freedom Front and Center. 

Prairie 24 DOF

It's easier to do it again if no price is paid.

I'll never know when you smoked your last one.

indingrl

Thank you for being honest with us. Question to YOURSELF be rigorously honest WITHIN yourself... YOU ALREADY KNOW YOUR OWN ANSWER MY beloved and please blog BEFORE you take that first PUFF over YOU... keep on keeping on   

Jennifer-Quit

For me being honest about it was what kept me going forward.  I can honestly say that I have 1,400 days without one puff.  It just wouldn't seem the same to say that I have 1,400 days except for that one that I had when I got upset over something.   Make a plan of what you will do instead of smoke the next time you get upset - that is really the important thing right now.  Because that time will come - be prepared!

Sandi4

Shadowluv420‌ - I appreciate your honesty.  You certainly could have carried on as if it never happened.

However, as I understand this site, your counter begins after your LAST cigarette.  As the others have stated, it's  your call, but I would reset.

I do have a question.  How did you come to be in possession of that ONE cigarette?  Did you keep some around after your quit?  Did you go to the store to purchase a pack?  Do you live with a smoker so you have access to them?  Make sure  you've eliminated all access in your home (if possible) before trying again.  

This is a no judgement zone and everyone I've met here has experienced multiple quits.  I allowed 9 years to pass before I reset my counter.  Don't let that be you.  Destroy any remaining cigarettes, make a new pledge and start your FOREVER quit.

We've got your back!

Sandi

elvan

So sorry that this happened...believe me, we all understand how vulnerable our quits are at the beginning and we all respect you for coming clean and telling us what happened.  I have to echo what Sandi4‌ asked...where did the cigarette come from?  I hope you realize that it didn't help anything, it didn't solve your problem, take it as a chance to strengthen your quit.  I cannot answer the reset question, it is not my call, it's yours.  I do believe that there are very strong feelings on this site about keeping your quit clock accurate...I keep MINE and that's all I can handle.  

I do seriously hope that you can get back up on the horse, so to speak, and really learn something from this.  I don't judge you, I salute you for your honesty.  Remember that we are all here to support you and to help you in any way that we can.  

Hugs,

Ellen