cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Kmarinello

Is using a patch cheating?

So, I’m on day 26 with the help of a patch. Doing the whole 21mg x6 weeks and then dropping down for the next 4 weeks to nothing. Some folks seem to give me a look when I say I am quitting and using patch...like it’s not really quitting until I’m completely nicotine free. Maybe that’s all in my head with the other crazy thoughts that pop up now..ha! What do you think? 

Labels (1)
21 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

In my opinion it is not cheating,

Barb102

Oh now how can using something that helps you quit for good be bad. I have failed many times cold turkey I’m on day 42 and would not have made it this far W/O the patch. Do what works for you you’re doing great. NOPE

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

No, smoking is cheating.  If cheating is the proper word., Is using patches smoking?  NAH. Good job on 26 days smoke free.  Keep it going. 

nope.  I look at it as a two-part quitting process.  You first have to get through the withdrawal symptoms.  Some do well cold turkey.  Others literally crawl the walls (that was me).  I couldn't handle not doing the hand to mouth repetitive motion (part 1) and dealing with the nicotine withdrawal (part 2) all at the same time.  I had to concentrate on retraining myself first with living life without the act of smoking.  Then I had to work on weaning myself down off of nicotine.  I was only on it for 8 to 10 weeks.  You're just delayed on the emotional roller coaster. See /blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2014/06/18/how-nicotine-addiction-takes-over-and-what-to-do-about-it    And some people never have that either.  I think that's what makes smoking so frustrating is there is no exact science to this because it is so personal.  Each of us use smoking in different ways.  It's been an interesting ride and I'm so thankful I stuck with it.  Another blog that I have bookmarked is /blogs/Giulia-blog/2015/02/23/expectations-timelines-and-the-reality-you-create that really sheds a lot of light on things

MichelleDiane

Hi Kmarinello.  At the end of today I will have 60 DOF.  I am using the patch and am down to the 7mg.  I am confident that I have built up my tool kit to help me when I am done with this last step.  It's way more than not smoking.  It's learning how to live without smoking.  It's regaining your life.  It's amazing.  Do what works.  If you're not smoking you are rocking it!

-Michelle

elvan

Absolutely not, there are many successful people on this site who used the patch.  If you are not smoking, you are growing!  

Congratulations.

Ellen

Sandy-9-17-17

And here I have been .....sitting a top of the fence with my own opinion about using NRT.  UNTIL NOW!  

I guess everyone who says it's not cheating is correct, as you are not smoking, and you are using NRT to help you stay that way.....smoke free.  Way to go!  Can't wait to hear your updates as to being free of nicotine!  

Nymous

Absolutely not.I have attempted my quits earlier using patches and my current quit is cold turkey.

You are smoke free for 26 days. You have overcome the addiction  to pick up a cigarette and light it for 26 days. which is awesome. The psychological /behavioral component of the addiction is lot tougher to overcome than the physiological component . The patch is assisting you with the physical part but you are well ahead with the physiological part .

Congratulations

Not If You Are Using It And It, Is Not Using You