cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ThePearlWolf

Is it common for nicotine patches to exacerbate a cold or sinus infection?

Hi,

I'm three days quit (one day without a patch) and a 30 year smoker. I planned to quit two weeks ago with the use of the 21mg nicotine patches for 4 weeks, then going down to 14mg patches for two weeks, then 7mg for two weeks, but it didn't quite work out that way.  I started using the patches on the 9th, but after a day & a 1/2, I chickened out and took the patch off and smoked for the rest of the evening.  I went back and forth like that for two weeks, using the patch for a day, then taking it off before the next day in the middle of the day & smoking. This weekend, I knew if I ever had any hope of quitting, I had to stop gaming my own system and just step up and stop altogether, so I've been smoke free since Saturday night.  

Two days into my initial quit, I started feeling like I was getting the flu (sore joints, sore eyes, sore ears, racing heart, fuzzy head, sinus pain and slight runny nose, sensitive, tingly skin, hoarse voice, trouble swallowing, etc). I knew it was way too early to get the quitter's flu, but I thought maybe going without smoking for 1-1/2 days, then smoking again, and continuing to go back & forth like that was probably irritating to my system.  Each day that passed, I would feel worse.  Since I kept doing that for two weeks, I figured my immune system was in disarray, but it got bad enough I didn't feel good enough to smoke, so in a way, it helped me with the final push I needed to put them down for good this weekend.  I thought I would start to feel better after a few days, but I kept getting worse.  Finally, at 3:30pm yesterday, I took my patch off so I would know for sure what was causing it.  Felt horrible up until I went to bed, but woke up this morning feeling good and as the day as worn on, it's just gotten better. I still have a slight runny nose, a little soreness around my eyes, and in my ears, but nothing like what I had and it's not bad enough that it zaps my motivation. I'm thinking I have a sinus infection, likely brought on by my stupidity with stopping smoking for a day & a 1/2, smoking for 1/2 a day, etc., but for some reason the patches greatly exacerbated the symptoms.  Is that normal?  I have a Dr. appt later this afternoon because I have a business trip coming up next week that I can't miss, so I can't take any chances.

Is this a common issue?  It's like my body had an immune response that was greatly exaggerated and it settled down once I removed the patch for an extended time.  

So far, the cravings are controllable since they only last for a short duration each time.  It's been about 24 hours without the patch and I haven't lost my resolve so it looks like I'll be able to do this without the patches and just quit cold turkey.  I purchased some 2mg gum as a safety net, just in case, but my plan is that I only use it as a last resort. So far so good!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6404/nicotine-transdermal/details/list-sideeffects 

Here is a link to side effects of nicotine patches that I found on the WebMD web site.  I do not see your symptoms listed, and I have never heard of the patch causing cold and/or sinus problems.  If you feel that the patch is doing more harm than good, then by all means do not use it.  It sounds like you are doing well without it.  Best wishes to you.

ThePearlWolf

Thanks for responding!  I think I didn't explain myself well.  I believe I have a sinus infection (not related to the patches themselves though-I'm in the waiting room at the Doc's now), but it seems like I felt a lot worse that I should have for just having a sinus infection, until I took the patch off, at which point the next day (this morning), I didn't feel like I was dying any longer, I just felt like I had a slightly annoying sinus infection. Many of the side effects listed for nicotine patches are symptoms I've had this time around and in times past when I used the patches, but this time these were much worse symptoms than normal.  Just something lightly touching my skin, or turning my head to the side hurt. I'm wondering if others have suddenly become allergic to the patches (or maybe allergic to nicotine after using the patches, since I was going back & forth between wearing a patch one day and smoking the next), or if maybe using the patches while you have a sickness like a sinus infection, can make the sickness feel worse. It felt like I was having an extreme immune response to something.

I'm definitely going to keep going without any replacements like patches (I don't want to feel like that again!) or gum, since I seem to be managing it, but if I get ready to break, I'll reach for the gum instead. Honestly, I don't believe it will come to that.  As weird as it sounds, I think I've been given a rare gift by getting sick right now.  It helps me not want to smoke since I know I would feel worse if I did.  I think it also helps that I don't feel normal right now, while I'm going through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.  In a way, it's a distraction. 

elvan

I've not heard of that reaction either but not ALL reactions or adverse effects are listed...if they were, we'd never take anything.  I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says...hope that you continue to feel better.

Welcome to EX!

Ellen

ThePearlWolf

Hi all,

The Dr. said I have all the symptoms of a sinus infection and prescribed antibiotics.  She said she's known people who have used patches more than once (due to quit failures) that eventually couldn't wear them anymore because their body reacted negatively to them, even though that didn't happen in the past.  Different people's bodies reject things in different ways and she said it's very possible that's what's going on.  She also mentioned that with the sinus infection & with my body trying to reject the patch or having an allergic reaction to the patch, my white blood cell count is likely high and that can cause general pain, skin sensitivity and an overall feeling similar to how your body feels during the flu.  We opted not to do bloodwork since she's prescribing antibiotics anyway.  I'm supposed to go back if I am still feeling the same in two weeks.

I'm still feeling much better.  I'm really surprised I've never had a problem with the patch before but now it seems to be a problem.  I guess on the bright side, I won't be prolonging my withdrawal symptoms since I can't use the patches anymore.

elvan

Hope the antibiotic works quickly and that you feel better and better, sinus infections can be so rough.  Good for you, you really have a good attitude.  You should feel better about your business trip.  

Get well.

Ellen

minihorses

The only reaction I ever had to patches was besides the fact that they never stayed on unless I put a little first aid tape on the corners was that they burned through my skin even though I put them in different places daily.  I know it wasn't the tape because I use that all the time. I hope those antibiotics work quickly so you can get on the road to feeling better! 

Julie

indingrl

YAHOOOOO FOR YOU AND CONGRATS ON COLD TURKEY QUIT ThePearlWolf.... welcome to your NEW RECOVERING FROM NICOTINE with TONS of STAYING QUIT FAMILY! It was SUGGESTED to ME in MY early recovery to STAY on this site 90 days reading blogs here by the EXPERT DR HAYS BLOGS and also FREE BOOK at whyquit.com by Joel... Never Take Another Puff... also videos and articles ALL FREE and to come back sharing what YOU are LEARNING about YOUR OWN NICOTINE ADDICTION and to blog BEFORE you take ONE PUFF over YOU!  Thank you for helping ME to STAY QUIT WITH YOU TODAY for WE only have this DAY and to do this day minute or seconds or breathing in and out and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER! keep on keeping on

ThePearlWolf

Thank you everyone for the support!  It is so wonderful to see so many people who are able to stay strong and share their strength with those of us just starting out on this journey!

I had a lot of cravings today, but luckily, it was extremely busy at work.  Even though I had cravings, I had too much on my mind to think about them  

0 Kudos