cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kariley

Overeating?!?!

Overeating!?!?  Need help!  I'm on day 18 and really doing well with the smoking - but it's the eating I'm having issues with today!  I just can't seem to stop.  Does anyone have any advise?  I'm trying to make healthier choices, but it's definitely not happening on most occasions!!

17 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Your #1 priority right now is quitting smoking.  Sub healthy, low cal snacks in between the good stuff and increase your exercise as much as you can.

I repeat - your #1 priority right now is quitting smoking.  You can focus on dieting when your quit is well in hand.  Just try to be as sensible as you can with your choices. 

You are DOING this! Keep at it!

Nancy

kariley

Thank you - I am doing this!!

MarilynH

I agree with Nancy that your quit must be your #1 priority right now, I chomped on carrots and celery sticks which helped me and this may sound really weird but the chomping noise seemed soothing to me and helped with the craves plus I kept a bag of sugar free mints around too and drank lots of water which I still do, concentrate on strengthening your quit for now.....

AnnetteMM

When you stop using an addictive drug (nicotine, heroin, cocaine) you crave sugar. Giving your body what it needs to feel better can help you get through withdrawal. You can always lose weight. COPD is forever.

anaussiemom

Bravo on your quit. kariley 

Do crunchy things help? 
Pretzels, carrots, almonds, 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2017/04/26/back-to-blogging-and-weig...  Perhaps links by Dr. Hayes, and Exers.

kariley

I am eating almonds in the afternoons at work. I"m not a hug fan of carrots or celery but I really should try them too, for the crunch!  Thank you!

I’m so right there with you (as I sit eating a bag of Chex mix)! I vowed I would just eat vegetable sticks but... that didn’t happen. What I am realizing now in my second month is that this is temporary. That it’s more important to quit and maybe gain a few pounds. I also started exercising a little more lately to get my energy up, so hopefully it’ll even out. But don’t put yourself down, because you’re doing something amazing for yourself! Congrats!!!

Your Quit is the no. 1 priority.   Don't throw it away over a few pounds!!!!!! I did that decades ago and it was another 15 yrs before I tried again.  I repeated that pattern a couple more times.      Then I found  myself saying I 've  smoked for 45 yrs.    Please don't walk in those shoes.......Almonds are a great snack....our body needs the protein.  Apples are crunchy and healthy.   I need the crunch factor and turn to nuts,fruits,lots of raw veggies are crunchy  and delicious.   How about the almond rice crackers are very crunchy and tasty. 19 is alot and no sugar not high salt low calories.   Hot cinnamon hard candy helps craving too. The heat of them goes a long ways. Add some extra exercise in.  Burns calories carries me through cravings 

Above ALL Protect your Quit!!!!!!  The other will be alot easier to battle.  Hang in there.   Prairie