cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Shalu

Side effects of nicotine patches?

I have decided to stick only to the patches now for a week and see how that goes, however the side effects of them seem to be really bad? Is this normal? I feel sick and my arm (where the patch is) is really in pain? Is this a normal experience or am I doing something wrong? 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
anaussiemom

What mg? And I'll say no it isn't normal for me.  How long has your arm  been hurting?  Perhaps ER is where u need to go???  IDK.  Concerned here!!

Shalu

I smoke under 10 a day so it's only the 14mg 

0 Kudos
Shalu

It's been hurting since yesterday and I feel like I'm going to throw up. It said that there are side effects, but this seems quite severe? Should I speak to my doctor? 

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Yes.  Please speak to doctor.

Shalu

Okay thank you. X 

Shalu

And I put my first patch on yesterday and kept it for 24 hours, that's what it recommends, but 16 hours is also okay. Then I put my next patch on again today and I still have the same effects, I can't eat and I just feel so weak 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

The only side effects that I experienced from the patch was some minor skin irritation where I applied the patch.  But everyone is different.  Consulting your doctor would be a wise choice. 

You said earlier that you were also using gum and spray - when did you quit those?  It is possible that you are using too much nicotine replacement since you only smoked 8 cigs a day.  

Shalu

Well yesterday I had one piece of gum whilst wearing a patch and today I've had only the patch on. I started the quitting process on Tuesday, so now I'm only going to stick to one at a time, tomorrow I'm going to stick to gum and keep to that until I see my doctor. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Just be careful and don't use too much nicotine -