cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Day 2 started out scary

I got up and started looking for cigarettes! I looked in my car. Nope. I looked in my purse. Nope. I looked in my heavy jacket. Nope. I looked in my light jacket. Yes. (Notice I have two different jackets that I used to we to go out and smoke, depending on the temperature.) I took one out of the pack, lit it up, and hollered, "NO!" I put it out and took the rest of the pack and broke them at the filter line, and tossed them in the trash. Whew. After I put it out, I sat there and let the disgusting smell waft by. I wanted to smell its grossness to be reminded of why I didn't want to smell like that. One puff. It could have started a chain reaction, but I was so shocked and distraught that it will not. NOPE still stands, though one puff got in there. The house is now clean and I don't feel desperate. I know better. I will not quit this quit and that is my pledge to me today. 

What did I do after this almost disaster? I came inside, got a cup of coffee, and started putting the finish on my no smoking rock I painted yesterday. Then I cried. I made that rock for me. I deserve that rock. I'm earning that rock. 

If you're quitting with me, get rid of ALL the cigarettes. 

I have errands to run today and I'm taking all of you with me for support. 

24 Replies
MarilynH

Whew whew and whew again, deep breaths and stay close because we're all here to help you through any rough patches that you may come upon and please know that you can and will be successful one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time but you must believe it and stick with N.O.P.E and vigilance because S.I.N.A.O Smoking Is Not An Option, you've got this quit so this evening you can look yourself in the mirror and smile and say yay for another Day WON, no smoking no matter what is happening in life, not one puff ever, stick with your precious quit....

DonnaMarie

I'm going to pamper my baby quit like I would a real infant. NOPE and smoking is not an option and imprinted on my forehead

JACKIE1-25-15

You can do this. Never give in.  You are stronger than a cigarette. Good job.  When you start looking for them.  That is the signal to start to distract, do something else....anything.

DonnaMarie

One potential trigger is when I hear my sister open her deck door, I know where she's going and what she's doing. I'll get over it and not even think about it in time, but I'll have to find a way to not be near a part of the house where I can hear that door open (it's a sliding door).  

I'm paying super close attention today due to my almost flub. I'm not quitting this quit.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

You see the danger in keeping anything from your old smoker life around!  Do a thorough cleaning to avoid that danger ever happening again!  Great job avoiding disaster this time.

DonnaMarie

Disaster is around every corner. I was going to run errands today, but am putting it off till tomorrow. I do not trust me. I can trust me, but I want to fully trust me. Does that make sense?

AnnetteMM

Yep it sure does make sense. Your errands can wait another day.

So glad you came to your senses! Good Job!!

When I was in the middle of my quit, every morning I would assess how I felt the moment I woke, and before I actually got out of bed. You see, I believe that the mornings are like an empty canvas waiting to be filled. 

If I felt a little out of sorts, I would visualize a place that brought me peace, all the way down to the single blades of grass and the shape of the clouds in the sky. And this would sort of clear the canvas for me so that I could replace what had started to form on that canvas with something better. It worked for me, and I still do this to this day. Just one of the beneficial things I learned while quitting that I thought I'd share.

Keep fighting! It's a fight worth doing and the rewards are incredible! 

Now, off to work for me. Stay safe! You'll be in my thoughts today.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

DonnaMarie

I like the idea of taking a few moments after waking up and assessing, affirming, and discussing with myself. I think I'm going to glom on to that one!

0 Kudos